FW: RE: FW: Different firewalls. Maybe a dumb question.

  • From: "Joe Pochedley" <joepochedley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 00:00:21 -0400

Tom,

In simplest terms:

Inet <->  ISA1  <-> SMTPSVR <-> ISA2 <-> Inet

Inet is of course = Internet (any client, and IP address), so
essentially the diagram should be a big circle (free your mind)...

ISA1 and ISA2 are, I hope self explanatory

Both ISA1 and ISA2 have server publishing rules for incoming SMTP to
SMTPSvr

SMTPSvr is a SMTP server (SNAT client)

If SMTPSvr = Windows

I set up two default gateways on SMTPSvr and any Inet client can
establish a SMTP session through either ISA1 or ISA2 for incoming mail.

If SMTPSvr = Other OS

The Inet clients will only get a response by connecting to either ISA1
or ISA2, depending on which default gateway on SMTPSvr has the lower
metric (if both metrics are the same, then it will be whichever gateway
was entered first).   Say ISA1 is the primary default gateway..  SMTP
sessions established through ISA1 work flawlessly.  Requests to ISA2 are
forwarded to SMTPSvr and SMTPSvr does respond (typical 220-------  Ready
type response is sent) BUT the Inet client never receives the request
and the SMTP session is never established.

I guess at this point I'm curious as to how / why Windows works this
way, whether it's a quirk with ISA in not allowing the Other OS SMTPSvr
outbound requests to pass (maybe Monday I'll actually get a packet
sniffer in place where I can truly see what's happening)  Pondering it
more and more, it does sound like Dead Gateway Detection could be the
reason the Windows SMTPSvr works, if only I knew a bit more on how DGD
worked in Windows (MS has a small blurb in MSKB 128978).

I know this configuration, as described, is strange and could be
addressed properly by adding hardware to gang the Inet connections
together either before or after the ISA's... (any recommendations on how
to do this on the cheap are welcome, no offence to RainConnect, just
don't have money in the budget for it... and because of the way we use
our two Inet links, I don't want them ganged together for all traffic,
just SMTP redundancy...   )

Thanks to anyone who managed to plow through this whole email, and even
more thanks to anyone who can enlighten me more on the subjects above!