FW Client and IE fail autodetect

  • From: "Ted" <tdoholis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 08:38:25 -0700

Hi,

I am trying to solve a problem with some clients (not all) that constantly
fail to detect the ISA server and IE fails to autodetect. All clients are
on the same subnet as ISA and ISA is hosting the WPAD.DAT file. I have
taken out a standard edition and replaced the server with EE. It has a new
name, and IP. The changes have been made to the DNS and DHCP. I am using
both DNS and DHCP to advertise the ISA on port 80. ISA FW client tab under
the internal network is set to use autodetect only. For those that are
successfull, it is fast and accurate. For those that fail, one of 2 things
happen:
1. The FW client never auto detects the ISA. To correct this, you ipconfig
/release - /renew and then it will auto detect it (although slowly). After
that, when  you open IE, it takes about 30 seconds to detect or you can
click stop and then type in a URL and it works right away.
2. The FW client does detect but the IE auto detect takes 30 seconds or
more to detect when you open it (as does every instance).

My confusion is that most clients work flawlessly and fast and I am having
a hard time figuring out how to troubleshoot this.
My next step will be to capture packets from a machine with the problem.
In the meantime, any advice is welcome.

Thanks
TD