RE: DNS Issue

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:10:02 -0600

Hi Tom,

It sounds like you want to put your public DNS server on the trihomed,
public address DMZ segment.

You need to create packet filters to allow:

Source any
Destination TCP 53

Source any
Destination UDP 53

A dynamic packet filter will allow the DNS servers to respond to the
clients

The DNS server on the DMZ should be an "advertiser", so that it only
answers for names that its authoritative for. It should not be able to
perform recursion. I'm pretty sure I have the details of that config in
the second book. If not, they are in the split DNS article over at
www.isaserver.org/shinder

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder