Can ISA 2000 be a gateway to gateway and a client-server VPN?

  • From: "Simon Cornish" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 07:47:54 -0600

Hello.

We are currently using ISA 2000 as a firewall, gateway, and a VPN server,
to which home users connect using Windows 2000 or XP VPN connectoids. We
are based in London and have recently opened a New York office. The 3
staff in NY have had problems creating simultaneous VPN connections
through their Linksys WRV54G "Wireless VPN broadband router" but having
read some of the manual it should be possible to use this router to create
a tunnel between it and our ISA Server.

I am not really familiar with this so have browsed through isaserver.org
and understand that this setup might be called a gateway to gateway VPN.
Is it possible to run a gateway to gateway VPN as well as still allowing
home users in this country to connect?

What steps should I take to create the gateway to gateway (g2g) VPN
without ruining it for UK-based home users? Once again I have browsed
isaserver.org but the articles for creating g2g VPNs using non windows VPN
products at the other end all seem to be for ISA 2004. I assume the steps
would be different, especially as there is a VPN Wizard in 2000 that
someone said takes a lot of the work out of this, and it isn't available
in 2004.

Thank you very much for any pointers.

Kind regards,
Simon Cornish