Cacheing based on MIME Types

  • From: "Scott Shields" <sshields@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:20:59 -0700

Can anyone add insight to the following discussion?

Initial Question:

Can ISA control cache contents based on MIME Type?

My Response:

Can you elaborate a bit more on exactly what you trying to accomplish?

Reply from sender:

"many of our applications do not pass application session parameters via
the URI, but utilize a more-secure method of storing these parameters
within the app server persistent store. in those instances, i cannot be
ensured that the URI will contain a '?', and thus i cannot be ensured
that ISA will not attempt to cache dynamically-generated HTTP responses.
(ISA's mgmt app appears to define active/non-cachable content solely
based upon the presence/absence of a question-mark within the URI..)

anyway - given that many of our apps are externally-developed and/or
COTS, i cannot rely upon our application suite to have properly
incorporated the standard 'no-cache' entries within HTTP response
headers. and therein lies my biggest issue with ISA - i seem to be
lacking the ability to manage the cache engine such that i can have it
NOT cache dynamic content that odes not include the proper HTTP header
directives and which does not utilize the URI to pass app parameters.

i have found technical references that speak to allowing/disallowing
caching based upon wite site (FQDN) - what i need is something more
granular, e.g.

the ability to define '.jsp' as a noncachable doc type, or to conversely
define only PNG, JPG, and GIF as cachable MIME types (in which case all
other content would be treated as dynamic and therefore not cached).

does this make sense?"

Scott Shields | Technical Account Advisor | M (972) 849-7493 | O (972)
963-1498 | sshields@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Microsoft