Am I Relaying?

  • From: "Craft, Steve" <SCraft@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:31:10 -0500

I have a mail server sitting behind my ISA host.  ISA is publishing port 25
only for SMTP.  On my mail server's relaying rules (IMail), I only relay for
specific internal IP numbers.

I just added the IP number of the internal interface to the IMail
allowed-relay list, and added ISA alerts to send mail to the internal server
if there is a problem.

However, now I am thinking about it, did I just open up my system to relay
for the world?  I am afraid that anyone can send SMTP to the external ISA
interface, it will pass the packets to the internal, and the mail server
will allow it since it thinks it is the ISA server sending the message, and
now I am part of the spam problem.  I was thinking that the mail publishing
acts like web publishing where the web server always thinks traffic comes
from the ISA and not the real external client.

Is this true?