Re: Allowing mirc dcc file get

  • From: "Steve Moffat" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:24:37 -0000

He sent this to me - says to check thru it all to make sure mirc's set
up properly first.

Steve

To fight against the recents flood attacks, many channels (and an
increasing number of nicks) are now set to accept REGISTRED NICKS
only.  You WILL NOT be able to join the channel AND/OR msg or request
a file from someone if your nick is not registred.

There are other good reasons for you to register your nick:
- ONLY YOU will be able to use it.
- NickServ will no longer change your nick for a guest one (when
NickServ isn't having any problems)
- Easy to reclaim your nick (kill your ghost) if you get
"connection reset by peer"
- Able to cut down on 99% of spam by setting your nick's mode to +R

"But how do I register my nick?? Im new on IRC..."

ITS VERY EASY:

Be sure you are using the nick you want to register.
To change your nick quickly, type: /Nick "yournick"

P.S. NickServ MUST BE UP!!  or you will get this message:
(ERROR) No such nick/channel: nickserv
If that happens, just try again later when NickServ's back online.

Usage:
-  /msg NickServ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx REGISTER <password> <email>

Example:
-  /msg NickServ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx register yourpassword your@xxxxxxxxx

If you have any problems, type /msg NickServ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx help
register

YOU HAVE TO enter a real e-mail address because NickServ will
send you a e-mail with a confirmation code to complete
your registration. It will be something like: /msg 256365754786356525 or
hyperlink you can click on to activate your new nick.

Read carefully what NickServ is saying to you.

YEAH! IM REGISTRED!! What now?

Each time you are loging on IRC, you will have to tell NickServ
you are the REAL owner of this nick by doing this:

  /msg NickServ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx IDENTIFY "yourpassword"

YOU HAVE TO DO THIS, OR YOUR REGISTRATION IS USELESS!
BEING ABLE TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF TO DALNET IS THE GOAL OF THIS
REGISTRATION!

You can set your IRC script to automatically identify to NickServ
every time you connect.

Go into your IRC options:
File/Options/Connect/IRC/Perform

-  Add this line:
  /msg NickServ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx IDENTIFY yourpassword

and of course, ENABLE the feature :P

That's all!!

NickServ will then send you a notice to let you know your PASSWORD was
ACCEPTED for your "REGISTRED" nick.

Steve Moffat
Senior Support Analyst
Optimum Computer Solutions