Re: Accountability with NAT

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:31:14 -0800

OK, for the sake of argument, let's say that Joe Schmuckatelli does send a
threatening email to the Chancellor.
The timestamp of the mail and the Yahoo logs can be compared to the ISA
traffic logs to say who made what connection to yahoo at what time and what
pages and the dynamic data that was passed to the "send it" forms Yahoo
provides.  If you have user authentication in effect, you not only know the
originating IP, you also know the user account that was used.  This is
something the FW-1 can't do; associate an event with a person's account.
As far as packet contents, yes; ISA can log that, but as you stated, that
would require an incredible amount of storage and FW-1 isn't doing that
either, anyway.
You haven't stated what you use other than an IP to nab the offender.  An IP
only identifies the machine, not the person and unless you're
statically-assigning IPs (and the users can't change them), this is
questionable as evidence.
With ISA forcing user auth for outside access, you have one more nail on
Joe's coffin; either he was the culprit, or worse yet, he allowed someone to
use his credentials to send the mail.  Either way, he's violated the College
Internet usage policy.  Now you have two folks to look into (and maybe drop
into the waiting arms of the cold, cruel world) and the ISA logging made it
all possible.

<thank you, thank you; no applause, just throw money>

Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
http://isaserver.org/authors/harrison/
Read the books!