RE: 64K DSL

  • From: Joe Pochedley <JoePochedley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:27:53 -0400

Is that "70 clients" at one site who will be sharing a 64K link, or "70
clients" at 70 different sites who will each get a 64K link?

If you've got 70 users at one site, and they don't mind moving at a snail's
pace, then sure 64k will be fine.  You get one user starting to download on
Kaaza (real bad idea in a business environment BTW, but that's another
thread) then all the other web surfers are going to suffer very poor
cached on the ISA server).  You get two users downloading on Kaaza and
everyone else in the place might as well forget there's an Internet
connection.

Again, even without Kaaza, lunchtime is going to be your biggest traffic
time since that's when everyone does (most of their) non-work-related
surfing.  I'll bet things will get pretty darn slow from time to time during
lunch.  If the client is willing to accept those slow times, then 64k is
fine.

Joe Pochedley
"In the end, if you have cables like
spaghetti on the floor and things only
connect when you swear at them, your
network is perfectly normal." - James Gaskin