Re: [IRLGuideDogs] Refusal to Carry Guide Dogs in Taxis

  • From: "Audrey Tormey" <atormey@xxxxxx>
  • To: <irlguidedogs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 06:57:47 -0000

Hi Ed,

All fine here! Woody is really wonderful - he's such a sensitive dog, yet on
occasion he amazes me with his ability to guide.  Sometimes I think when in
the midst of a "challenging route" if he'll be phased, yet he is getting on
fine.  Rosemary and Clint are great too, - we've bumped into one another in
a local pet shop, and both humans and dogs chatted briefly!

Regarding taxis, or rather their drivers in some cases, I feel they could do
with awareness training.  I get the impression that some of them don't
realise that our dogs are "working dogs" and not simply canine accessories!
on occasion I've had to remind drivers that my guide dog is literally my
means of getting around safely and efficiently.  Not sure if you've been in
a taxi where the driver is unable to read road signs! - well this actually
happened to me not so long ago, sadly there are incidences of illiteracy
among taxi drivers, and it makes a journey difficult for someone who can't
see enough to direct on a "new route" or help out visually with road signs!

All in a day's work! If I didn't laugh to myself I would probably be ...
well better not go there!

Hope the goats are not finding this weather too inclement, and all are doing
well with Zack

Audrey