[IOTAList] Re: Harness Tension

  • From: "Jewel" <jewelblanch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <iotalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 15:06:13 +1200

When I got Emma from the Lady Nell "Seeing Eye Dog" school, one of the
complaints I made was her excessive amount of pull. When I said "forward" she
took off like a formula1 Massarati.
I was informed by her male trainer that Emma didn't * pull, but his female
counterpart agreed with me that she did!
I couldn't do much about it while I was under the eagle eye of the instructors:
I did get away with a hell of a lot of things of which they didn't aprove: but
as soon as I got home and away from prying eyes, I set about bringing her pace
back to something less than an all out sprint.
I gave her a couple of opportunities to come down from first gear to second,
but when she didn't, I stopped and adjusted the position of the breastplate so
that instead of running across Emma's chest, it was 3 inches lower and across
the top of her forelegs.
On the word "FORWARD!", she leapt into the collar and I pulled back on the
handle and her legs were whipped away from under her and down she went on her
nose!
PROBLEM SOLVED! She never pulled, excessively, again!

Jewel
From: Buddy Brannan <buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 9/22/2015 06:32 (GMT-06:00)
To: iotalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well...I'm not sure how this will play out with Hilda.

OK, so how can I explain this? Starting with Chet, I asked for a dog with a
medium to hard pull. Here's why, and maybe I have screwy logic. It seems to me
that, as time went on, my dog's pull would lessen. Eventually, all three of my
dogs have had a similar normal working pull into the harness, or, I should say,
a similar amount of tension caused by forward motion. It all sort of evened out
to about the same with all three dogs, all three of different sizes and
different builds. Essentially, they all pulled less. Sometimes I'd actually
like a bit *more* tension, but what I've ended up with has been enough, anyway.
I guess it is, because it's what we've all eventually worked out. The way I
figure it though, it's easier to get a dog to pull less than for a dog to pull
more, just as it's easier to get a dog to slow down than to speed up. If I got
a dog that started out with a light to nonexistent pull, what would that look
like some time down the road?

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194

On Sep 22, 2015, at 7:16 AM, Caitlyn Furness <caitlyn.furness@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Janelle,
that’s interesting.
Cait

On Sep 21, 2015, at 7:58 AM, Janelle Colquhoun
<jc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not sure about that.

Jewel, the Bell from the Kiwi south might be a laid-back farming girl who
teaches her dogs to have a country stroll alongside her, but there are
non-stop complaints on our Australian guide dog list from handlers who are
given school trained dogs who pull like a TGV or ICE train when they are
running late!

Janelle