[infoshare] Fw: Accessible Devices We Probably Want To Pass This Along To All TheDrivers We Know

  • From: "Luis Guerra" <jerseypalisades@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 15:07:06 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Parker at Vip conduit" <Vipcomm@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Accessible Devices" <a-d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:53 AM
Subject: Accessible Devices We Probably Want To Pass This Along To All
TheDrivers We Know

BBC NEWS
Parking ticket leads to a virus
Hackers have discovered a new way of duping users onto fraudulent websites:
fake
parking tickets.
Cars in the US had traffic violation tickets placed on the windscreen, which
then
directed users to a website.
The website claimed to have photos of the alleged parking violation, but
then tricks
users into downloading a virus.
Anti-virus firm McAfee says the Vundo Trojan then gets users to install a
fake anti-virus
scanner.
Vehicles in Grand Forks, North Dakota were the targets for this new type of
fraud.
Drivers found the following message on the yellow ticket on their
windscreen: "PARKING
VIOLATION This vehicle is in violation of standard parking regulations".
The ticket then instructed drivers to visit a website, where drivers could
"view
pictures with information about your parking preferences".
According to internet security watchdog The SANS Institute, the website then
had
photos of cars in various car parks around Grand Forks and instructed users
to download
a tool bar to find photos of their own vehicle.
But the tool bar was actually an executable file which installed a Trojan
virus that
then displayed a fake security alert when the PC was rebooted. The fake
alert then
prompted the user to install fake anti-virus software.
Writing on the SANS blog, anti-virus analyst Lenny Zeltser ran through the
different
stages of infection.
"The initial program installed itself as a browser helper object (BHO) for
Internet
Explorer that downloaded a component from childhe.com and attempted to trick
the
victim into installing a fake anti-virus scanner from bestantispyware
securityscan.com
and protectionsoft warecheck.com," he explained.
It is thought this is the first time fraudsters had used real world
solutions to
try and trick users, although Mr Zeltser warned that it would not be the
last.
"Attackers continue to come up with creative ways of tricking potential
victims into
installing malicious software.
"Merging physical and virtual worlds via objects that point to websites is
one way
to do this. I imagine we'll be seeing such approaches more often."
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/technology/7872299.stm
Published: 2009/02/05 13:51:10 GMT
© BBC MMIX