[infoshare] Blio Finally Arrives and Complaints Follow; KNFB Responds « PWxyz

  • From: "Luis Guerra" <free_speech@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "InfoShare" <InfoShare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:13:48 -0400

The first day of any new thing can be a little shakey and yesterday's
release of Blio, the much anticipated e-reading software developed by Ray
Kurzweil
and KNFB Reading Technology in conjunction with Baker and Taylor, seemed
about as shakey as it gets. Blio is e-reading software that supports video,
audio,
original full-color layouts and an enhanced Text to Speech feature.
Originally announced in late 2009, the free software has been delayed but
was finally
released on September 28. And that's where our problems with Blio begin.

On the first day of its free downloads, even savvy tech users complained of
difficulty installing the software. Others complained of wildly varying
prices
and a lack of for-pay titles to buy as well as a poor functioning text to
speech feature that was much hyped in Blio's many demos. And to top it all
off,
Hadrian Gardeur, founder of free e-book site Feedbooks.com, complained on
Twitter that Blio was offering downloads of the Feedbook catalog without
their
permission ("Hey Blio, next time that you add our OPDS catalog to a
commercial product, send us an e-mail first.")

Needless to say the twitterati were unhappy and variations on #blio #fail
hashtags were prominent throughout the day on Twitter.  To be fair, there
were
users who had no problems installing Blio. And there were others who said
that while they had some " issues"  with Blio's debut, they were still
pleased
with its performance and potential.  PW was able to reach Peter Chapman, an
executive at KNFB Reading Technology, who blamed the problems on "first day
jitters," and said the company was working to correct the problems.

Chapman says the problems around installing Blio only affected people using
Windows XP. The problems, he said, were caused by bad software hosted by a
third
party client Blio is using to host downloads. "It is now fixed but it took
us most of the day to get it down," Chapman said. He acknowledged that most
people's Text To Speech (TTS) would likely have problems because, "the TTS
software on most Windows machines isn't very good." KNFB, Chapman said, is
in
the process of making new and affordable TTS software available through the
Blio bookstore. Chapman said consumers dissatisfied with their TTS can
purchase
better  (but significantly more expensive) software immediately online that
will improve its quality. However, he said they are working with TTS
software
vendors to offer a better and much cheaper TTS software that will allow
users to choose different voice qualities and he said it will be available
very
soon.

The Blio e-book store launched with about 11,000 for-pay titles and Chapman
said KNFB is uploading "700 to 800 new books every day. We're loading them
by
their sales ranking, the most popular books are being uploaded first." He
blamed wildly varying prices (one user on Twitter complained of a Steig
Larsson
novel being offered for $27.95) on inputing errors that have now been
corrected.  "We have books from all the big six publishers and prices are
based on
whether they use the Agency Model or the traditional wholesale model; these
days e-book are all priced pretty much the same." And no, Chapman says, Blio
will not support ePub titles consumers may have purchased from other
e-bookstores, "ePub books from other vendors have different DRM and are not
compatible,"
he said. But he also emphasized that Blio is focused on graphical books,
"and we are offering digital books that no one else has, cookbooks,
children's
books; books with visual content."

According to Chapman, Blio/KNFB has been in discussions with Feedbooks and
Gardeur about using their catalog of free books,  but acknowledged that  "we
didn't tell him exactly when we would start." And he also acknowledged that
users that signed up for the Blio mailing list to be notified when it was
available
were not notified until after the site was up and working,  "because we
didn't
want to send people to a site that wan't ready."

And Chapman said Blio's initial release was limited to Windows only because
"of the numbers and the bigger screens of laptops and desktops are more
appropriate
to the viewing experience." He said a Mac version is in the works and Blio
for iOS4-for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad-is currently in beta.

"Birthing a new product is always difficult and stressful," Chapman said,
"but I'm sure we're through the worst of it."

Tags:
blio,
Text To Speech,
TTS

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 at 8:39 am and is
filed under
View all posts in apps,
View all posts in e-books,
View all posts in kids' books,
View all posts in picture books,
View all posts in video.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the
RSS 2.0
 feed. You can
leave a response,
or