[infoage-board] Re: InfoAge Meeting Wednesday & Meeting

  • From: Fred Carl <fred-carl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: infoage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:54:47 -0400

Hello All,

   I am sad to report the passing of Stacey's grandfather.   We will pospone
the next Base of Terror / Haunted Hotel meeting to Wednesday May 2nd to enable
friends to attend his wake.  Services for Henry "Chubby" Shipman will be from
2-4 and 7-9 on Wednesday at Johnson's funeral home on 138 in Wall Township.

   Thank you,
   Fred

  From: GHOSTS ON THE JERSEY SHORE
  By Stephen Crane - Nov. 9, 1894
     ...if you go into the huckleberry region back of Shark River you had
better not scorn the story of the great pirate ship that sails without trouble
in twelve inches of water, and has skeletons dangling at the mastheads.
Terrible faces peer over the bulwarks, and confound the visions of any who
would witness the phantom movements from the shore.

  In this region there is also an old Indian, dead a hundred years, who stalks
through the land at night. He is looking, it is said, for his fair young bride,
whom he buried in a previous century because she put too much salt in his
muskrat stew. This ghost was once followed on his shadowy pilgrimage by some
young men who had greatly fortified themselves with applejack, but when his
pursuers came too near the ghostly Indian simply turned and looked at them. He
had a stiletto-like glance, they asserted, which went straight through them as
if they had been made of paper. So they ran away.

  ****Thank you to the many persons who were onsite this Sunday to greet our
visitors.  I saw Dan Jacobs, Dave Jacobs, Henry K., Joe G., Dan L., Al Klase,
Evan K., Jeff Jonas, Don Caselli, Jeff Brace, Bob P., Nels W.,  Judy W., Dan
W., Ruby Z, Steve G. and Winston, Bernie R., and me.  Ben was here too and I
sure others I did not see.   We are getting more visitors on a rainy day than
our best days last year.   Our message is getting out!!

  ****Thanks to Nels and Pete for making the Camp Evans Hill and the whole
place look great.   We invested in a new mower.

  **** Thanks to Dan L. spotting a visit to Belmar by Senator Mendenez and
Congressman Frank Palone Jr. I was able to meet both gentlemen to give them
information on our historic site.  This was an excellent follow-up to the
written requests we had sent requesting their comments on the NHL (H is for
historic / not for Hockey).  Dan was warmly greeted by the Congressman.  We
also met the Mayor of Belmar, who had no idea Camp Evans was open as a Science
Center.  He will introduce InfoAge and myself to the Super of Belmar Schools.

  ***Judy and Marsha are making great progress on our membership database.
Over 300 renewal requests have been sent out this week alone.

  ***Tony A. and company held another Paranormal investigation this weekend.
Thank you to Tony and crew for all the hard work to raise funds.  Thank you to
Judy for getting things set up for the investigation.

  ****We have contractors giving us estimates for HVAC in 9010A and 9010D for a
NJ Cultural Trust Grant Application and a Community Development Block grant.

  ***Thanks to Matt Reynolds, who will be asking his employer to donate Glidden
paint for the Camp Evans Paint-a-thon.  We will use the NPS approved color -
Pearl Harbor - number '2165-50' to repaint the WWII wooden buildings.
Tentative date for the first Paint-a-thon is Sunday May 20th - 1 PM.   Other
days will be set as we can find volunteer groups to help.

  We are making good progress and everyone can feel the renewed excitement and
hope for even better days and donations to advance our mission.

  Thank you,

  Fred

  Meeting notes:

  Meeting April 18, 2012

  Evan K. - VCF progress excellent.  High profile visitors. Friday setup begins
as early as possible.

  Bob P. - Sunday a good day - approx 50 visitors.

  Dan L.  -  250 people came for the Morro Castle event.  Need great photo for
advertisement.  Dan now on BOT.  Dan working on event form.  Finding a
challenge preparing to open.  Changes made to calendar.

  Joe G. - secured parts for trade show display.  Will help film VCF.  New
copier in member lounge.  Philip science festival this weekend.  All invited to
man booth.

  Steve G. - They will hand out folding airplanes.  Locks have changed.
H-buildings now secure.  Eagle status good.  Steve sent an article in
Monitoring Times.

  Nick P. - pass

  Chief Rich - Dad works for a dumpster company.  Will charge only tipping fee.
  Made great progress on painting dinning room.

  Matt - We have Path for the Halloween.   Next meeting?   Holiday display in
9036C.

  Ray Chase - hates the HH route.

  Progress being made on the TIROS dish

  Art Goldberg: hamfest on Saturday.  OMARC making great progress.

  Tony A. - paranormal tour going well.  Will offer tours after HH event.
WeirdNJ expected May 12.   Tony says - Where is my contract?

  $$$need no trespassing signs - get fence posts in.  Buser - post hole digger.

  Dan J. - working on sign for Little League field to let familes know what is
on the other side of the fence.

  John Cervini - thank you to all who helps with the Titantic weekend.  Special
events bring attendance.  Propose WWII event - charge $10.  Suggested honoring
Lou DeSarno, Clarence Leerch and any Wall WWII resident we can locate.

  Ben.  - hh collection in good shape.

  Fred updates - The Fire Exit Signs in 9010 A & B have been upgraded with
exterior emergency lights.  Permit filed and inspection pending.

  Re-roof of 9034 in progress thanks to a Monmouth County Historical Commision
Grant.  This eliminates at least eight more roof leaks.

  Electrical Supplies purchased for 9002 and 9162 CO requirements.

  Please send me updates on your activites.....  It is important to record our
accomplishments.  We do so much, it is impossible to recall it all, unless we
write it down.

  Thank you,

  Fred