[impression-x] Re: peculiar Space behaviour

  • From: Jim Nagel <jim-imp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: impression-x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 17:15:07 +0100

Jim Nagel  wrote on 28 Apr:
> A peculiar phenomenon has cropped up, something I've never before seen
> in using Impression for 20 years.
> A certain document suddenly refuses to allow spaces to be inserted by
> normal use of the spacebar on the keyboard.  Other characters can be
> typed normally, including Alt-space, but for space nothing happens.
> Has any other Impression user ever come across this?
> What's going on?  Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Aha!  I found the obvious thing I was missing!  I exported a story
"with styles" from the document and spotted a rogue style whose
keyboard shortcut was -- you guessed it -- Space.  Deleted that style
and all is well.

The problem affected this document only, so (with hindsight) I should
have thought of inspecting the style definitions long ago.

As for how this rogue style came into being, I have a theory:  at the
moment I have a second computer at the same desk.  It shares the same
monitor (which has multiple ports).  But it has its own keyboard and
mouse.  It's too easy to get confused and type away on the wrong
keyboard, then wonder why nothing appears on the screen -- well, the
keystrokes must have reached Impression on the other computer.

I promise I'll be more careful in future.

Come to think of it, though, I'm surprised Impression ever accepted
Space (or any ordinary alphanumeric) as a shortcut for a style.

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk