[Ilugc] Re: Linux, install, Hard Disk, Try this way ?
- From: balaji.narayanan@xxxxxxxxx (Balaji N)
- Date: 20 Nov 2002 08:54:51 +0530
On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 07:22, Thiagarajan wrote:
Good Morning !
Kindly tell me whether it is possible , if so explain Step by Step
reply to me personally, need not be in the list
let me explain my needs
1) i have 40 machines in win98 peer to peer
2) i have CD drive in one machine, and i have RH 7.3 all 4 disks [ 3 + 1
documentation ], it works in one machine nicely
install linux on this box from the CD.
3) i want to install linux in all machines concurrently [ with in 4 hrs i
can complete in all the machines ]
4) my idea is , copy the image of linux installation CDROM in to all the
computers in a folder
[ copying under win98 using simple copy option , just like keeping a copy of
cab files of win98 for reinstallation ]
yes, but u need to copy the iso images.
5) i do not know what is ISO image ? [ Is win98 simple copy = ISO image ? ]
no a directory copy wont work. mount the CD on the linux box and do the
following to get the iso image.
a) mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
b) mkisofs -o "/dirname/disk1.iso" /mnt/cdrom.
The resulting file in /dirname/disk1.iso is an iso image of the CD. Make
similar copies for all the CD and copy them to all the servers.
6) after copying into a directory, install linux from that directory [ again
using win98 environment ]
[ i can start giving installion in all the machines at a time and all the
machines will be installed concurrently ]
start the installation by booting from a boot floppyand select the hard
disk install method and select the corresponding device name and give
the directory name.
hopefully it works. correct me if i am wrong.
having said that, this would be a very difficult process to install 40
machines this way. i would suggest to go for a network installation.
(havent tried it my self.)
follow the link above and setup a server on the network with the install
media. and then boot all the machines using the bootnet.img image and
point it to this servers as explained in the documentation.
I'm having a BIG BANG THEORY!!
Other related posts:
- » [Ilugc] Linux, install, Hard Disk, Try this way ? - Ganesh Swami
- » [Ilugc] Linux, install, Hard Disk, Try this way ? - Thiagarajan
- » [Ilugc] Re: Linux, install, Hard Disk, Try this way ? - Balaji N
- » [Ilugc] Re: Linux, install, Hard Disk, Try this way ? - Sukumar .S
- » [Ilugc] Linux, install, Hard Disk, Try this way ? - Suraj Kumar