[ilug-cal-website] Re: [Ilug-cal-discuss] Web-site revamp Q/A issues

  • From: Surendra Singhi <ssinghi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:20:52 +0530

"Indranil Das Gupta" <indradg@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I went through the site at www.ilug-cal.info and I've the following
> comments w.r.t the content:

Thanks, very good suggestions.

> 1. The name of the Group *is* I repeat "Indian GNU/Linux Users Group -
> Kolkata Chapter". Please use a standardize nomenclature throughout the
> website.
>
> 1.a)
> http://203.200.180.138/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=1&Itemid=2
>
> Case in point -> " The latest news from Linux UserGroup Kolkata"
>
> 1.b)
> http://203.200.180.138/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=35
>
> Case in point -> " This is the web-site of the Indian Linux Users
> Group- Calcutta Chapter"

Being a member of website maintenance team; we will try to ensure that the
nomenclature is same throughout. Also, will put up a section of guidelines for
adding new content.

> 1.c) The background image
> http://203.200.180.138/templates/fv_camel/images/logo_small.jpg
>
> Please change accordingly to reflect correct nomenclature.
>
> REMARKS: The choice of the Tux image used is frightful. It is *too*
> big brother-ish. That sort of an image would be perfect for a site
> dealing exclusively in Network Security, but reflects poor taste and a
> lack of sensibility if we want to be percieved as an open and friendly
> group community. I'm sure we don't want to rub any newbie off.
>
> Think about it!

I agree, also I will make a request to everyone, please try coming up with a
nice logo, or coerce some good designer you know, to help us.

> [...]
>
> Place the correct link here so as not to confuse visitors
>
> 3. Please quickly get up to speed with Joomla based publishing.
> Content should not get repeated as in the link 2.a (see above)
>
> 4. Login/Password forms *only* over HTTPS please. It helps to be a
> little paranoid about security. :)
>
> 5. Please spell-check the content. There are too many typos. This
> reflects rather poorly on the quality of the site, especially one that
> proposes such a well-organised content-submission hierarchy.
>
> A Few Examples :
>
> 5.a) "Humore" on
> http://203.200.180.138/index.php?option=com_weblinks&Itemid=23
>
> 5.b) "maintainance" on
> http://203.200.180.138/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 (on the
> main page)
>
> 5.c) "dcumentation", "Newbeis" on
> http://203.200.180.138/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=16&Itemid=23
>
> 5.d) "RMS' Lecture" on
> http://203.200.180.138/index.php?option=com_eventcal&Itemid=37
>
> It should be "RMS's Lecture", since "RMS" is *not* a plural for "RM".
>
> 6. Use simple english. Please bear in mind that as GNU/Linux and FOSS
> becomes mainstream, a community-oriented site is no longer a domain of
> the geeks alone.
>
> 6.a) http://203.200.180.138/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=15&Itemid=23
>
> Case in point -> "A Live CD linux distro for people who can parse Bangla."
>
> While I have commented on this in 7.a (see below), the line could have
> been written simply as "A Bangla/Bengali LiveCD Distribution/Distro"
>
> 7. Ensure information accuracy.
>
> 7.a) http://203.200.180.138/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=15&Itemid=23
>
> Case in point -> " Home of Ankur Bangla Linux. A Live CD linux distro
> for people who can parse Bangla."
>
> This is wrong. It should say "Home of Ankur Bangla Group". FWIW,
> AnkurBangla isn't a livecd distro, the LiveCD distro just happens to
> be *one* of many projects.
>
> 7.b)  http://203.200.180.138/index.php?option=com_eventcal&Itemid=37
>
> Case in point -> "from 02:00 until 07:00". This should have read "from
> 2:00 pm until 5:00 pm"
>
> Unrelated to this calender entry, FWIW a group of young people did
> turn up at the event after it had ended. They simply had wrong
> information as did a couple of Special Branch Officers. So we need to
> be careful when giving out information.
>
> BTW, it would be nice if the timings given indicate whether we are
> talking about a 12 or 24 hr clock, and in case of a 12hr clock, if it
> is AM or PM.
>
> 8. Ensure proper classification
>
> Case in point -> Distrowatch *is* a news site on existing and emerging
> distributions. It should go under "Weblinks -> News" rather than
> "Weblinks -> Linux Distros"
>
> 9. Insert copyright/copyleft notices on the site, clearly indicating
> content licensing and attribution, recognition of Trademarks,
> Tradename, Logos etc. This *IS* important.

Will incorporate all of the above in the guidelines, as well I request
everyone to please follow the above while contributing content.

> 10. Design a ILUG-Cal favicon.ico file or simply do away with the
> Joomla favicon.ico file. It looks jarring!

Again, please contribute/help.

> 11. External links should open independently and with-in the same
> frame was the ILUG-Cal website (i.e. target=blank)

This one I disagree with, the target attribute is no longer present in the
Strict XHTML standard. The user should be able to control using his browser
whether, he stays on the site or navigate away. Also, IMHO it is a very
annoying behavior.

> This has two obvious advantages:
>
> 11.a) Doesn't take the user away from the ILUG-Cal website. This may
> not be a major use with seasoned user of the site, but for
> first-timers who have browsed in from a search link, it can be quite a
> frustrating experience to "loose the site" they have "found out".

IMO, even naive web users, are comfortable with the Back button.

> 11.b) Removes all possible legal hassles w.r.t. 3rd party links.
>
> NOTE: In case of 3rd Party links a DISCLAIMER should be applied that
> "By clicking on an external link, you acknowledge the fact that
> ILUG-Cal doesn't manage these resources and hence doesn't provide any
> guarantee about the availability, accuracy, usefulness and/or
> suitability of the content being provided by the 3rd party"

Thanks once again,
--
Surendra Singhi