[ilssa] The First Annual ILSSA Festival to Plead for Skills

  • From: Local 917 Shop RC <local917shoprc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilssa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:14:51 -0400

dear Impractical Laborers,

It was great to meet so many of you at the Hybrid Book Conference in Philadelphia last weekend! We'd like to welcome our twenty-one most recent members who have joined in the past week! Thank you, thank you, we're thrilled to have you with us.

The time has come for us two Operators to begin preparations for the Festival. We have 45 participants. If your name is on this list, and you have decided NOT to participate in the Festival, please let us know ASAP. Similarly, if you believed your name to be on this list and it is not represented here, please do let us know. ASAP. Many thanks, and we look forward to seeing the products of your observance.

THE 45 PARTICIPANTS IN 2009 THE FESTIVAL TO PLEAD FOR SKILLS:
Adolfsen        Eric
Ansley  Joe
Barba   Evan
Benton  Amanda
Bervin  Jen
Brock-Reed      Amy
Bryant  Sarah
Cabeen  Louise
Cicatiello      Jamie
Edwards Lyman
Elam    Chelsey
Elmer   Bridget
Gilbert Rebecca
Graphic Union
Greenan Amy
Griffin Lark
Hoffman Jessica
Hutchins        Ed
Johnson Polly
Kalkstein       Molly
Landis  Millie
Larned  Emily
Leepard Amy
Lyon    Emily
McCarney        Scott
Meinolf Travis
Mowinski        Melanie
Murken  Katie
Needlegardens
Netburn Deborah
O'Hanlon        Adrienne
Peterson        Jessica
Phelan  Mary
Rooney  Erica
Ruggiero        Chris
Smith   Champe
Stevens Missy
Stewart-Stand   Theo
Sweeney Erin
Tibbatts        Terri A
Wheeler Carolee
Yang-Kelly      Sugene
Zimmermann      Philip
Zorn    Alesia

can't wait!!
x,
--
AS MANY HOURS AS IT TAKES
ILSSA Local 917 Shop RC

On Apr 7, 2009, at 5:07 AM, ILSSA Operator wrote:

Greetings Impractical Laborers! We are writing to invite each ILSSA Union Member to participate in our first collective project. This summer, on the 7th day of the 7th month, we will celebrate our own version of the The Festival to Plead for Skills. The festival is derived from the Chinese holiday of Qi Xi and the Japanese festival of Tanabata, in which celebrants wish for the betterment of their own craftsmanship. Instead of wishing, the ILSSA festival will be a holiday of practicing.

We are inviting all ILSSA Members to observe the first annual ILSSA Festival to Plead for Skills by practicing a skill. This could involve using a new tool, working in a different medium, or honing your technique – it's all up to you! As a framework for this event, each ILSSA Member is invited to make 50 objects (no larger than 2 inches in height, width and depth) as iterations of their practice. Conceive of this project as something you can complete entirely on the day of the Festival. We imagine Impractical Laborers across the land, practicing together in observance of the holiday on July 7th.

After the Festival, we ask that each ILSSA Member mail the resulting 50 objects to ILSSA. We will then compile the objects into 50 custom, handmade enclosures that will house one object from each participant. One copy of the box set will then be mailed out to each ILSSA Member as a commemorative archive of the holiday and a physical manifestation of our collective action.

We request that all objects arrive at the following address by July 17th:
[this is the corrected address, not the original from the April 7 email]

Bridget Elmer
c/o Asheville BookWorks
428 1/2 Haywood Road
Asheville, NC 28806

Along with your 50 objects, please include $7.00 (well-concealed cash or check) to cover the shipping costs for your copy of the box set, which will be mailed to you upon completion or the edition.

Please feel free to reply to this message with any questions you have about the project. In addition, we request that you accept or decline our invitation to participate by May 7th. This will enable us to begin design of the box set in preparation for construction in July.

Your comrades in Impractical Labor,
Local 917 Shop RC & Local 347 Shop FS

P.S. For those of you on the listserv who have yet to join ILSSA, we welcome you to become a member before May 7th if you wish to participate.

ILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSAILSSA

AS MANY HOURS AS IT TAKES
ILSSA Operator
www.impractical-labor.org