[ilssa] Festival FAQ for newbies

  • From: ILSSA Operator <operator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilssa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:20:34 -0400

dear -new- Impractical Laborers,
Welcome! As the festival may be news to you folks, we wanted to give you a
little more info.
Hope this helps -- and if you have any further questions, ask away!
cheers,
the co-ops

--
We don't know yet how many participants there will be this year. 2009 was 55,
2010 was 40, so for convenience sake we'll use the number 40 below.

1) You are a knitter who wants to learn a tricky stitch. Practice this new
stitch by making 2x2" swatches. Your first swatch will be messy; the 40th will
no doubt be pro.

2) You are a bookbinder who always punches holes slightly off the gutter. Fold
40 pieces of 4x2" paper in half, and then practice punching 3 holes in all 40
folios.

3) You want to practice large-format sign painting. Take your large proofs and
cut them down to 2x2". Or fold large sheets down to 2x2". Or cut the large
sheets into long strips and accordion fold them down to 2x2". Your practice
evidence doesn't need to start small as long as it ends small!

4) What if your practice is immaterial? Like, say, you want to memorize a
series of color-coded circuits. You can write out 40 small flash cards until
the information has been fixed in your brain.

--
AS MANY HOURS AS IT TAKES
ILSSA Operator