[ilssa] Exhibition at St. Mary's

  • From: ILSSA Operator <operator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilssa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 10:16:38 -0400

Greetings Impractical Laborers!

Happy June 1st! As we enter the 6th month of 2011 we wanted to check in with
those of you participating in the 2012 Exhibition at St. Mary's in Indiana.

How's the saving going? Are you still in? If all of you who initially said
"yes!" could send a quick note saying if you're still participating, we'd be
grateful. Remember not to hit "reply" but rather send a new message to
operator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks so much and we're excited to see what your 2011 looks like!

best & warmest,
your Co-Ops

--
"What exhibition?" you ask. Read on for the original December 31 2010 email.
You can still participate!

We are pleased to announce that the 2012 exhibition at St Mary's is a go! Thank
you, all of you, who have written in so enthusiastically. We're excited to work
alongside you while miles and miles apart.

So, beginning tomorrow JANUARY 1, 2011:
If you labor impractically, save a remnant of your process in an envelope.
Identify the envelope as yours and date it. Place it in a box. Repeat for every
day of 2011.

What does this mean, exactly, you ask?
Please read on for details!

 DO I SAVE SOMETHING EVERY DAY I ENGAGE IN MY ART PRACTICE?
> Not necessarily! You save something each day you impractically labor as
> defined by this organization -- meaning, each day you use obsolete
> technology.
        Let's say you're a Co-Operator, and you've been writing an essay for
the next Quarterly. You use TextEdit on your MacBook Pro to do this. That is
not impractical labor. Once you start typesetting the essay by hand, THEN you
save on those days.
        This isn't a work ethic contest about how many days you art-worked in
2011, promise! Rather it is way to show others how you make things when you use
obsolete technology.

WHAT KIND OF REMANTS?
> Anything. Shavings, off-cuts, trimmings, the piece of paper you wiped your
> brush on, hand-written notes, a pen you were using that ran out of ink,
> anything. Think creatively.

WHAT IF I USE OBSOLETE TECHNOLOGY BUT DID NOT GENERATE ANY WASTE?
> First think creatively. Did you log any notes by hand while editing on your
> reel-to-reel? Did you cut off any tape? Did your pen run out, or did you need
> to test it first? If your answer is still "no", turn in your dated envelope
> empty. We'll make a marker for empty envelopes in the exhibition.
        If you're feeling confused about what to save or would like help
figuring it out, feel free to post to the listserv  or just write to
operator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and we'll be happy to work through your ideas
with you.

WHAT SIZE ENVELOPES?
Envelopes can be any size and/or a range of sizes. The important thing is that
they are dated, identfied as yours, and are kept in order in your box. ***The
contents of the envelopes will be displayed chronologically in the exhibition,
so your keeping the envelopes organized is extremely helpful to us.***

UM, ISN'T THIS SHOW WASTEFUL?
>Actually, no!  All envelopes will be collated, bound into usable books, and
>returned to each exhibition participant. And the contents of the envelopes
>will be transformed into a new project by St Mary's sculpture students. So we
>hope this show will give a second life to things you might otherwise have
>discarded.

I'M GETTING THIS EMAIL ON JULY 25TH. CAN I STILL PARTICIPATE?
>Absolutely! You can join at any time. New members who join during the year
>will be invited to participate in the exhibition when they join. Of course,
>the exhibition will be most exciting if everyone participates as faithfully
>and diligently as possible.

We can't wait to see what you make in 2011. Happy New Year!!

--
AS MANY HOURS AS IT TAKES
ILSSA Operator