[ilssa] 2012 Festival to Plead for Skills

  • From: ILSSA Operator <operator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilssa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:12:43 -0400

dear ILSSA,

It is that time of year again! The 4th Annual ILSSA Festival to Plead for Skills is mere weeks away, and we're writing in preparation for our collective celebration on Saturday, July 7th, 2012.

As you may already know, each year on the seventh day of the seventh month, ILSSA celebrates its own version of The Festival to Plead for Skills. The festival is derived from the Chinese holiday of Qi Xi and the Japanese festival of Tanabata, in which celebrants wish for the betterment of their own craftsmanship. Instead of wishing, the ILSSA festival is a holiday of PRACTICING. We invite all ILSSA members to observe this holiday by practicing a skill: using a tool, trying a method, honing a technique. This practice should be something that you can complete entirely on July 7th. We imagine Impractical Laborers spanning the continents, practicing together in observance of the holiday.

In years past, we've shared small objects in observance and remembrance of the holiday. This year, we'd like to try something different. Instead of sending objects, we'd like members to document their practice with a photograph (at least 300 dpi and 5 inches in width). After the Festival, we ask that you send a copy of said photo, along with your Local and Shop info and a short caption describing your practice, to your co-operators, digitally via e-mail (to operator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ) or physically via snail mail (to Emily Larned, Local 917 Shop RC, 1069 Connecticut Ave #4-310, Bridgeport, CT 06607). We will compile all of the photos into a small publication to share with all who participate.

We're making this change because, as the Festival is all about practice, we want to emphasize PROCESS not product. In addition, it allows us to be much more inclusive of our full membership, some of whom do not make physical objects with their Impractical Labor.

In addition to the photo, if you'd like to make and send objects as in years past, we'd be happy to provide you with a directory of our current membership. Just let us know!

We look forward to practicing with you on July 7th, and we request that you send us your photos by July 15th, so that we can get to work on the 2012 Festival publication ASAP!

One final note! Your co-operators will be practicing publicly this year on July 7th at the Bridgeport Arts Festival in Bridgeport, CT (http://bridgeportartsfest.com/ ). Please feel free to join us if you're in the area! We'll be practicing bookbinding, creating envelope books from our Every Day Work exhibition, and we'd love your company!

yours ever impractically,
ILSSA co-operators