[PCB_FORUM] Re: Power plane -vs- gnd path signal return path

  • From: "Ritter, Alan" <Alan.Ritter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:16:41 -0500

Power supply planes are in effect an AC (HF) ground.  Your stackup using
solid planes next to your HF signals is preferable.  Running HF signals over
splits in planes is asking for trouble.  One thing to watch for is via
placement in your planes so you don't end up creating splits because of
overlap of the vias' antipads in the planes.  You may have to space your
vias out a bit if you end up with a group of them lined up
shoulder-to-shoulder.

/s/jar (Alan Ritter, alan.ritter@xxxxxxxxxx)
        http://www.mtritter.org <http://www.mtritter.org>

  _____