[PCB_FORUM] Re: PICK and PLACE data

  • From: Gary Carter <Gary.Carter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:35:26 -0500

I am curious to hear what others are thinking too....though our proprietary format works - it is labor intensive. We have a set of properties and attributes defined during Component qualification and passed to the ECAD Library development team. These attributes and properties are spread throughout Symbol, Pattern, Padstack, and physical parts table. All eventually make it into the Allegro Board. A custom Skill script extracts these to a proprietary format, comparable to the old GenCam (IPC2511A) format, but is extended to include a broader set of information about the entire PCB Assembly including mechanical, programmable device, and a host of information that drives the downstream Fabrication and Manufacturing Assembly and Test processes.

Lately I have been asking a lot of questions about the possibilities of leveraging IPC2581 and an XML based output. As Product Data Management evolves and part-centric Product Lifecycle Management technology matures we are consolidating what was dispersed across separate islands of information into one common repository. Through PLM I am seeing the promise of having access to much of the information necessary to produce a context-sensitive manufacturing interface file on-demand. The IPC2581 family of standards is structured to support this.

There are several noteworthy benefits to doing this:

   - Enter part information once, manage a single instance of the
   "truth" through the lifecycle of this object type (or sub-type).
   - Relieve ECAD Librarians of having to key these Enterprise data
   into the CAD-centric Part Library.
   - As downstream Sourcing and Manufacturing decisions are made,
   (Fabricate substrate in Country A, Assemble in Country B), the
   Manufacturing File content can be generated dynamically to expose
   only what is required.

Is anyone else thinking along these lines?
-Gary Carter

Reade, Sue wrote:

Since RSI has been bought by Mentor, and the Valid extract for Allegro was licensed by RSI, this could be difficult to get now. Does your manufacturing group have an extract routine for this data?

*Sue Reade*
CAD Engineer, Hardware Engineering, NSG

(o) +1.919.461-1047  |  (m) +1.919.819-8092