[PCB_FORUM] Re: Anyone running 16.x on Linux?

  • From: Greg Cunningham <Greg.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 14:37:55 -0400

We run all of our Allegro tools on Linux (DEHDL, PCB Layout, PDV, etc.) and
have about 30 or so people who use them.  Our Windows environment is not stable
enough for serious computing needs with all of the stuff that our IT people
keep doing to those boxes.

The tools generally run well, but we have identified two areas that could be
improved.

The first is that PDV gets extremely slow when a schematic symbol has a large
number of pins on the top or bottom.  Cadence is aware of it, but they don't
seem to be able to do anything about it -- or even figure it out.  We shipped
them a log file based upon debug code that they sent to us which showed the
amount of time required for various things to happen, but they still couldn't
figure it out.  This does not happen on Windows.

The second is that the mainwin process sometimes gets hung.  When that happens,
we have to delete all associated tmp files and the .mw directory in the users
account before they are able to open the tool again.  This does not happen
often, perhaps once or twice a month among all users, and it does not only
happen with Cadence tools, though we are not seeing it with other vendors tools
as often as we used to.

--
Greg Cunningham | Principal Engineer, Engineering Design Automation | ph
301.601.7293

Hi,

I'm curious how many run Allegro on Linux, and what the issues/experiences
are/were.

Thanks,

Austin