[PCB_FORUM] Re: Announcing the Transition of the ICU PCB Foru m to CDNUSERS.ORG

  • From: "Ritter, Alan" <Alan.Ritter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 23:07:21 -0500

I see both sides of this argument.  I subscribe to several technical and
personal email lists, both at work and at home.  I also monitor several
discussion board websites, these being strictly personal at this point.

The discussion board has the advantage of grouping replies by thread without
having to set up filters or read the subject line of emails.

The email list has the advantage of seeing each and every post as it comes
in, whether or not you are "watching" a thread.  (This may be a DISadvantage
to some people)

The biggest tradeoff I see is in the timeliness of responses.  I typically
check the discussion boards once or twice per day.  That means there can be
an 8 to 16 hour delay between someone posting a query and my responding
(assuming I have anything intelligent to say about it in the first place).
The email list format allows those of us who are online all day to see
queries as they come in and respond within minutes, unless we're in a
meeting (too often!!).

I can live with either, but I prefer the immediacy of the email list
format...just make sure that the discussion board has the option for email
notification of posts to a given topic ("watch") and that responses to a
particular query can automatically generate email to the originator.

For examples of different board management, check out the following
(climbing-oriented) boards:

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=1
http://www.network54.com/Forum/3897/
http://www.mt-whitney.info/

Three different boards, three different hosts/software systems, each with
particular plusses/minuses.

/s/jar (alan.ritter@xxxxxxxxxx)
        http://www.mtritter.org

EMAIL DISCLAIMER

Please Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential, protected from disclosure, and/or intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering
disclosure, distribution, copying or other dissemination of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in
error, please immediately reply to the sender, delete the message and
destroy all copies of it.

Thank You