Re: [icon-users] abort on fetch when opening docx file

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 11:35:41 +0200

In message <49308.82.153.33.53.1336670234.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
.uk>
          "Gerald Dodson" <gerald.dodson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> It may not be well known hereabouts but a .docx file is a container: a
>>> zip file with umpteen xml and other files in it.
>>
>> Yes.  I discovered that long before EW could handle them.  I was trying to
>> extract the text content and I noticed that the file began PK.
>>

> Martin explained some time ago in one of his talks about the introduction
> of a wordx import that it was a large task. See ECMA for the
> specification: part 1 runs to about 163 pages. There are likely to be a
> number of problems which crop up as Martin develops TW/EW. So it should
> not be a surprise if some files are not rendered.

Yes, of course, but that does not excuse a crash. A crash is simply a
bug in EW/TW. Version 9.00 should load and render each and every .docx
file you throw at it, though not necessarily in the way Word renders
it. In extreme cases that may well mean that you get an empty document
in EW/TW, but what you should never get is a crash.

Martin