[icon-discuss] Re: Telephone keypad Braille

  • From: "Beth Koenig" <bethko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fb-oe@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:38:14 -0800

Interesting idea though I think that is why we have the braille plus
with the built in braille keypad. The only time I use thumb braille is
when working with an Icon which seems to happen once a year at CSUN.
This does make more sence if the Icon is laying on your stomach in a
quite room. I guess you would have to wear headphones in a noisy room
or outside.
Unless you flip the keys around and then you could easily flip it
around so the keys face forward and hold it to your ear while you
type. This would be easier for some people to use than thumb braille
but I like thumb braille and all my clients use the Braille Plus and
the braille keypad.

Beth Koenig
bethko@xxxxxxxxx
Director of Deaf Blind Services
Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center
2960 Main Street A100
Irvine, CA 92614
http://www.deafadvocacy.org/dbs
Health, safety, and productivity are the cornerstones of independence.
At the Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center we provide the training and
services necessary for the deaf and disabled to achieve equality and
independence in all areas of life.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Beth Terranova <fb-oe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Okay, folks, I have another thought:  As it stands now, a Braille M, dots
> 1-3-4, would be keypad buttons 1-7-3, which is not the same Braille
> fingering as you would have on a Perkins Brailler.  However, here is a
> scheme which would work fingering wise:  Braille dots 1, 2 and 3 would be
> phone pad keys 7, 4 and 1 respectively and Braille dots 4, 5 and 6 would be
> phone pad keys 9, 6 and 3 respectively.  This works because Braille dots 1
> and 4 would be pushed with your index fingers, thus making fingering the
> same as that on a Perkins Brailler.  Thumb Braille would be unnecessary with
> this scheme.  Could this change be made, or at least be available for user
> choice?  Beth
If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender only.
If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is related to
LevelStar or APH then consider sending your message to
icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx