[icon-discuss] Re: Anyone Successfully Using Western Digital PassportDrive?

  • From: Richard Ehrler <REhrler-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:05:12 -0600

My Western Digital 80 Gig hard drive works fine with my Voice Note but fails to work with either my Braille Plus or the Voice Sense. From what I remember on the Humanware list, these drives will work with their note takers if no larger than one hundred Gig with power supplied by the usb port but larger drives require the ac adapter wall wart. I didn't purchase that adapter when I purchased my WD drive so can't tell if plugging in the adapter would make a difference on my Braille Plus. Newer versions of this 80 Gig WD drive don't even come with a power adapter jack, so if the usb port doesn't supply enough power, it will not work. I don't know if the newer Western Digital drives with capacity above one hundred Gig still offer a choice for plugging into external power but maybe someone else here has one and can answer this. Another possibility is to plug the hard drive into a powered usb hub and plug the hub into your Icon or Braille Plus. If someone here has a usb hub, please give this a try and let us all know if it works.
Richard Ehrler