[ibis-interconn] Re: Noise parameter usage consistency

  • From: <radek_biernacki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-interconn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:31:25 -0700

Hi Michael,

Starting with the last question - the answer is no. The theory for more than
two ports is still evolving, and in the future the syntax may have to be
extended to cover the general n-port noise data, but for now we should be ok
with 2-port data.

As far as my understanding of the existing statements is concerned, I do not
see any ambiguity in there. Nothing that is implied can overrule explicit
statements. The statement "before any noise parameters begin" is thus
applicable to the cases (and only to the cases) where such noise parameters are
permitted.

The proposed extension is ok, but it is just a restatement of an already
established rule. Furthermore the phrase "must also contain a [Number of Ports]
keyword" may actually be somewhat confusing - the [Number of Ports] keyword is
required in Version 2.0 files.

If we want, we may strengthen the Page 16 statement by saying that the noise
parameters are not permitted if the specified number of ports is different from
2 instead of "may only be included in 2-port network descriptions". Basically,
you can move the second sentence of your new text and merge it with the
statement on page 16.

Another solution: just remove [Number of Ports] from the statement on page 17.

Radek