[ibis-interconn] Re: Interpretation of [Component] [Pin] signal_name

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-Interconnect <ibis-interconn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:18:16 +0000

Walter,

That new rule is something we can consider.  So to summarize, the need
for this new rule would be to prevent the possibility to make models
in which the [Pin] keyword has identical signal names in the 2nd column
(for example Vcc), while the [Pin Mapping] keyword defines independent
bus labels for the same pins (for example Vcc1, Vcc2, Vcc3, etc...).

Currently the IBIS specification allow this situation, making the signal
name column of the [Pin] keyword somewhat meaningless as far as the netlist
generation goes.

So the next question I want to ask then is why is this change necessary
in light of the new package/interconnect proposal?  Is that because you
want to be able to make use of the signal name under the [Pin] keyword
for netlisting (connectivity definition) purposes?

Also a small detail question:  This new rule would only be for the power
and ground pins, right?   For signal pins you would still allow identical
signal names in the 2nd column of the [Pin] keyword, even if they are
associated with totally independent signals, and buffer models, correct?

Thanks,

Arpad