[ian-reeds-games] starships and potential bugs

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ian-reeds-games@freelist" <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 22:43:27 -0500

Hi gang,

While it isn't completed, I have gotten alot more done ont he starship map.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68028683/starship%20battles%20Basic.zip

I worked on the level called resistance.
It features you controlling six dreadnaught class ships from six diffrent races
against a singleborg cube.

The borg cube was given more hull points. It was also given an assimulate skill
that takes crew off your ships. You lose all 1000 of your crew on a ship, it
becomes lifeless and adrift. You can send a friendly unit to a drifting ship,a
nd put crew on it, and it will fly again.

The borg also has a tractor beam, range 0. The tractor beam will hold the ship
in place. This is supposed to happen, since this is a common borg tactic.
Once caught, it will proceed to carve up your ship  into borg sized chunks to
assimulate, grin.

It is practically unbeatable, which is not my intention, so I am thinking of
throwing in some orions int he mix to help int he fight, or maybe more ships
that are not dreadnaughts.
I wouldn't mind any feedback on it when everyone gets the chance, especially
you Shawn.
I had also changed out a map and called it birds of a feather.
It features a "captured"federation dreadnaught on it's way to an enemy nation,
and you have only three ships to take it out. You are given command codes to
totally shut it down for about 7 turns, which turns off shields and  all
actions of the captured ship. It was pretty cool when I tested it.

I have alot of bad guys ont he map, and I am thinking it might be too much, and
I am not sure if I should make the destruction of the captured ship a victory
condition or not.

I am still working on the hunt for the gorn, and I am not sure if I should do
the total war map or not. I am thinking of  making it into something else, but
I don't know what...anyone have anything they want to see?

As for errors:
1. The assimulate skill features the "inflicting" of crew damage, simulating
the borg transporting crew members onto the crew to turn them into scifi goth
zombies. Some of the ships on the board are shuttles and fighters which do not
possess crew points. However, the borg will use the assimulate skill on the
crew less units. This kind of reminds me of austens map where structures were
healing units that could not be healed cause they didn't have the right type of
points.

2. I created some skills to simulate a borgs adaptation ability. It would
gradulally increase weapon damage and shield strength. However, when the
adaption points are reached for the new skills to be used, the borg will not
use it. Do I need to find an ai flag that will trick it into useing the
adaptations, or should there be some kind of flag that makes a certain skill be
used the moment it is available? The borg is so buff already, it isn't
necessary, but still, it would be true to the borg, as it were.

3. I noticed that when a person uses the  period and slash keys, among others,
to get from unit to unit, that it does so in the order the units were placed on
the map. Was this just an arbitrary thing, or is this something that someone
might want to control later on ? Not sure if this is an error so to speak, but
it was interesting. I ended up takeing out the dreadnaughts and then placing
them in a more logical order, instead of jumping back and forth with no rhyme
nor reason.