[ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle 1.11 dev 5

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 13:24:18 -0500

Yeah, I see what you mean now.

Ugh, trying to make ai do what you want is tough. I mean, I suppose Ian could
rig up a ai path follow kind of thing, but in the end, it would be just crazy
to deal with, wouldn't it? I would rather he worked harder on the ai to become
more and more "smart" then trying to detail units  every move.
Maybe instead of a path, they could have a marker on a unit/structure or
terrain that pings them. The ai bad guys detect it, and they head towards it at
the shortest route possible. To either go to it, or destroy it. I don't know,
that is just how I look on the whole matter.

I am having trouble with units that have more then one type of attack. The ai
ships have long range small damage weapons that they constantly use. They only
use the bigger damaging, but shorter ranged weapons when the player unit is in
range by accident, otherwise they are content to stay back and nit pick. It
would be nice to see them, when their large weapons are fully charged, to come
in to range, let loose, then push back to use the long range weapons again till
another recharge is full.

I am also wondering about ranges. Right now all my phasers are  the same range,
light, medium, heavy etc. I am wondering if those should have diffrent ranges
as well.
Balance is the key to these kind of things and it is hard to find a good
balance, cause you have to know what your bad guys are going to do.
Guns especially have always beena problem in rpg like games, cause they can be
so devastating. One bullet in reality can kill most critters. Yet you don't
want your own units getting destroyed in a single shot. So the balanceing act
is always tough.

With zombies, they are great, cause they are usually  found in great numbers
and just come at you regardless of danger. Kill one, and two more pop up and so
on.