[i3] working around gnome3 centric apps

  • From: Justin Mayfield <tooker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 22:11:21 -0600

First off, Great WM. I had been sitting on an outdated FC14 distro for a
long time for fear of gnome3's wrath and finally freed myself of my gnome
handcuffs (or so I thought) by switching to i3. Today I upgraded to FC17
and have noticed that some apps (Rhythmbox in particular) are highly
integrated into the gnome3 cult; Namely support for closing the apps to
the tray has been obsoleted.

How are people generally dealing with apps like this that have gone off the
gnome3 deep end? I hate gnome3 if you couldn't tell.

Justin