Re: [i3] question about layout

  • From: Frank Haun <fh@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Discussions/Questions about the i3 window manager <i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 12:20:35 +0100

Marcus Moeller <marcus.moeller@xxxxxx> writes:

Am 29.01.2012 08:58, schrieb Marcus Moeller:
Hi again,

In general I work in tabbed mode, meaning not using tiling at all. But
now I want to ask if it is possible to start one application (my
jabber client) besides the main tabbed window, with a predefined
width?

This works with i3 from git:

mod-a, mod-h, then call the program

Related part in the config:

# focus the parent container
bindsym $mod+a focus parent

# split in horizontal orientation
bindsym $mod+h split h

Resizing must done manually.

Ok, just a general question on that: I have now tried to move the window
out of my main tab group, using Mod+Shift+right (in the default
configuration). Does this result in the same as you described?

Yes, the result is the same.

Is the window that I have moved you the group a new container?

Sorry, meant "out of the group"

Hm, I think not at this moment. mod-a (focus parent) selects still all
windows.

You must first tell how to split, use mod-v or mod-h. And if you want
this layout stacked you can hit mod-s after it.

I hope this helps. ;-)

At the beginning I was very confused with all this stuff. It's a quite
good idea to play with several xterms on a free workspace.

Frank