[huskerlug] Re: [huskerlug] The Emperor is butt naked. And the majority of the people can ât see it.

  • From: Luke Wilson <lwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:40:18 -0500

I'm afraid I have to disagree with most of that.  While open-source
software is generally more secure than closed-source, there is no such
thing as a completely secure system.  I have no idea where the writer is
getting that idea.

While I'm usually not "stupid" enough to fall for a phishing scam or
trojan-horse-type attack, many users out there are.  Can you honestly
believe that every single computer user, even those who don't know the
difference between a link on their desktop and an installed program, has
the discernment to see through one of those fake PayPal e-mails, for
example?  Some of those are so well done that you just about have to
hover over the link "to the PayPal site" and look at the URL it points
to in order to tell it's fake.  I even fell for one of those once
(fortunately, it was an old one and the page it pointed to didn't exist
anymore).

Given that, bugs in software are definitely not the only way for malware
to enter your system.  Closed-source vendors do use it as a copout, but
that doesn't change the fact that you can't protect users from
themselves (and still deliver software that actually lets you do anything).