[huskerlug] Re: Linux without destroying Windows

  • From: James Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:01:07 -0600 (CST)

        Slackware is probably the first to use a DOS partition to run Linux
look around for their site, or if you're well-heeled you can get their
distribution
from Barnes & Noble.  www.cheapbytes.com can really have some good deals on
CD-ROMs
too.  They are an excellent company to do business with.  J.R. should have a
copy of
Slackware 7.1 (don't use 7.0) and it will run on DOS partition.  Note, if
you're going
to install a lot of stuff use the 4kbyte disk segmentation of some of the
Windows 95 and
probably all of the Windows 98 programs, because all those tiny files will
overflow a 2 gig partition with 32k sector sizes!  There is also ZIPSLACK on
that Slackware distro. which will take up a whole lot less space, but
doesn't have any GUI's installed. ---Jim

At 08:27 PM 3/9/2001 -0600, you wrote:

>I'm forwarding this on to HLUG's mailing list.  It is a LUG in Lincoln that=
=20
>was just started this fall.  We have regular meetings and hold special=
 events=20
>from time to time.  Our mailing list is a forum where people can ask=20
>questions about Linux and open source, such as this.  They can give more=20
>varied advice than I can.  To subscribe and recieve replies they send, send=
=20
>an email message to huskerlug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of=20
>"subscribe".  To then send to the list after you have subscribed, send it=
 to=20
>huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>Now, on to the problem.  If you didn't want to risk repartitioning, you can=
=20
>try a Linux install that goes off the Windows partition.  It doesn't effect=
=20
>your existing files at all.  There are several distributions that do this,=
=20
>but they aren't the big names you've probably heard about such as Redhat=
 and=20
>SuSE.  There are two distributions that work well that I've seen.  WinLinux=
=20
>2000 at www.winlinux2000.com has an installer that works like most Windows=
=20
>programs.  It's about a 200 meg download, so you may want to find someone=
=20
>with a good connection to get it for you if you don't have one.  Or, the=20
>members and I at HLUG can probably get you a copy on CD for you.  Another=
=20
>version is Phat Linux at www.phatlinux.com.  This is about 243 megs and=20
>installs about the same as WinLinux 2000.
>
>There are probably others out there, those two are just the ones I've=
 gotten=20
>to work off a Windows partition.
>
>On a side note, if you have a Pentium or above, Mandrake has a tool builtin=
=20
>to it's install that can resize your Windows partition like Partition=
 Magic. =20