[huskerlug] Re: Insecure Linux distro

  • From: clundst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 14 Jan 2003 22:09:23 -0600

RH 6.2?  That distros has NOTHING on RH 5.0 out of the box.  I think RH 6.2
gets worse press because linux was just coming into its own when RH 6.2 hit the
shelves.  Lots of people installed 6.2 without really knowing what they were
doing. (Just as I did with RH 5.2).

I'd been running a linux server/workstation for quite some time when I
foolishly did a "everything" install.  3 days later I noticed that my server
came up in my Quake search box.  Hmmm, I'm not running a quake server...that's
what I thought....
Rootkitted....and if that wasn't bad enough, when I tracked the script-kiddie
down in IRC, he crashed my computer by the f00f bug in the kernel.  It was a
hard day, but I learned alot (some about security, mostly about how big of
jerks script-kiddies are).

Carl Lundstedt
UNL

> ** Original Subject: RE: [huskerlug] Insecure Linux distro
> ** Original Sender: "Cesar Delgado" <cdelgad2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> ** Original Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:56:47 -0600

> ** Original Message follows...

> So I was talking with my boss today and we got on the topic of insecure
> Linux distros and it got me thinking what is THE most, out of the box,
> insecure Linux distro I know of.  And by this I mean it has the most
> exploits in it.  Basically just bugs we know of now that were patched
> after the distro had been released.  I guess this is a matter of
> preference, as usual, but I'm going to say RH6.2 out of the box is the
> most insecure Linux distro.  What do you guys think?
>
> -Cesar Delgado

Carl Lundstedt
UNL