[huskerlug] Re: Future of hlug as a studen organization

  • From: adunlop <techworld.mail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:34:54 -0500

On Jul 31, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Charles Leslie wrote:

> I think that what typically makes a community needed is the desire for
> like-minded people to work together on mutually beneficial projects or
> solutions to problems.  In this group, I see a general tone of apathy,
> and more interest in bashing Microsoft and having a good laugh than
> really trying to gain more education, or find projects to work on.
> Some more than others, of course, but it's hard to believe this is a
> university based group.
>
> The flip side of that coin is that I know it takes a lot of time and
> energy to volunteer to teach or mentor people, work on projects, or
> give presentations.  I know that I personally have a lot of other
> hobbies, work and projects that that give me little time for this,
> however every so often there are scraps of information that come out
> of here that are quite valuable, which is what keeps me holding on.
>
> I also like the thought that there are other people nearby that are
> somewhat interested in the same ideas that I am.  When I was learning
> Linux, these kinds of people were more valuable to me than gold.  It's
> important to have a place for these people to find teachers and
> mentors, otherwise they'll just give up.
>
> Ultimately, what I really think this group needs to hold it together
> is some kind of project that would inspire even a few of its members
> to get together and work on.  Just going out for pizza only
> accomplishes solving the problem of being hungry.
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 6:23 PM, adunlop<techworld.mail@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 30, 2009, at 6:06 PM, Martin Wolff wrote:
>>
>>> When I became president, I didn't want the irregular meetings of the
>>> past so
>>> I decided to have biweekly meetings.  This was too much, however,
>>> and it
>>> burned out myself and probably a lot of other people that came to
>>> HLUG.
>>> When I stopped forcing meetings, meetings just went to zero and have
>>> sorta
>>> remained that way as far as I know, despite chatter on lists. Also,
>>> I'm not
>>> sure that LUGs are nearly as relevant these days as they were in the
>>> past.
>>> These days when someone has a question the person asks
>>> ubuntuforums.org,
>>> bbs.archlinux.org, forums.gentoo.org, or whatever their specific
>>> distribution's forum is.
>>> The benefits for being a Recognized Student Organization (RSO) are
>>> less and
>>> less.  It used to be that you could get free Pepsi products really
>>> easily,
>>> but now there are new regulations that make it more of a pain.  (See
>>> http://involved.unl.edu/soar/pepsi.php ) Room reservation should
>>> technically
>>> require HLUG to be an RSO, however, I quickly found out that not
>>> reserving a
> [...]

The mailing list really has nothing to offer currently unless you're
out to bash someone as you noted.  I personally know half-a-dozen
people that *would* be interested in this list if that were put to an
end.  The OLUG has a vibrant mailing list, meetings, and meetups that
are interesting so there's definitely a desire in the local
community.  I also know several people personally that would attend
LUG meetings if they were offered regularly.  That part might take a
critical mass to achieve, so starting in a capacity with less pressure
might be a good idea.  I'm in favor of just meeting at a bar somewhere
to ease back into things for a while.

As I see it.

1.  Ban anyone that posts inane or useless comments.  There's no
reason that mindlessly negative comments should be allowed.  If you
have a point to make, do so politely and state reasoning.  Opinions
are fine so long as they are topical, polite, and reasoned.
2.  Continue the monthly lunches at Yia-Yia's or other places.
3.  Pick a time and a place for a meeting, something relaxed and
casual for a start.  Let people meet and let the interest in the LUG
gradually begin again.  Trying to jump straight to a formal meeting
may or may not work, but it will likely require a great deal of effort.

All of that being said, I'd be interested in any kind of a fun project
to work on with other people, anything done to learn is fun.  I don't
think that's the problem though and I definitely don't want to wait
for that to get people together.  I worry that it wouldn't happen.

Aaron