[huskerlug] Budget Cuts again

  • From: Eric Penne <epenne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 06:46:35 -0800 (PST)

Maybe HLUG should come up with a nice letter to send to Chancellor
Perlman about the benefits of using Open Source software.  He has a lot
of budget cut desicions coming up in his new proposal due in April.  In
the letter I think it should be pointed out that many areas of the
University could lower costs and benefit from using OpenOffice and/or
Linux instead of proprietary solutions.  Also it would need to mention
the cost of the ongoing licensing contracts paid to some companies.
This could help stretch support services farther without hiring more
people.  This might also be a good oppurtunity to state the downfalls
of the Microsoft agreement signed on behalf of the students that we all
seemed to have forgotten about.

I know support services is always in need of help.  Don't get me wrong
thinking that you aren't stretched already.  The harsh reality is that
every deptartment is going to have to make more cuts.  Perlman likes
vertical cuts (ie eliminating whole programs) but there is always
horizontal cuts that go along with that.

Anybody have any experience with setting up general purpose computer
labs with Linux?  This would be a very minor cost saving proposal but
would show Perlman that you've looked at this seriously.  He seems very
receptive to input.

Eric