[hsdd]

  • From: "Dr. Howard Johnson" <howiej@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:34:25 -0700

               High-Speed Digital Design

                 *On-Line Newsletter*

         Dr. Howard Johnson, Vol. 5  Issue 07
   ATTENTION  EUROPEAN CUSTOMERS:  I will  be   spending
   the   Fall   2002  term  on  assignment   at   Oxford
   University.   During that time, I will be   available
   to  teach private seminars throughout  Europe.   This
   is  a  rare opportunity for our European  clients  to
   receive  domestic pricing and terms for an   in-house
   "High-Speed  Digital  Design"  seminar.     If   your
   company  would be interested in hosting an   in-house
   seminar  in  the  September to  December   timeframe,
   please contact our Business Manager,  Jennifer  Epps.
   She  can be reached in the US at 509 997  0505 or via
   Email at jennifer@xxxxxxxxxxx

   FINAL  U.S. PUBLIC SEMINAR for 2002 will  be held  in
   Portland,  OR, on August 8-9.  The seminar   includes
   evening  demonstrations by many of the  major  Signal
   Integrity  vendors.   This is a  beautiful   time  of
   year  to visit the Pacific Northwest.   Register  now
   at www.sigcon.com.

   I  received  several  pieces of  mail   regarding  my
   comments  in a previous newsletter vol. 5  number  5,
   "SONET  data coding" to the effect that,  "...the  DC
   balance  of SONET can be terrible." Here's  the  best
   of the threads:

*----------------------(QUESTION)----------------------*

Killer Packet
From: Rich at Pvinc

   To  fix the problem with a long stream of  1's or 0's
   requires scrambling the data prior to  sending.  This
   fixed  many low frequency random errors  and is quite
   simple  to do. A relatively simple  scrambler with  a
   polynomial of X9 + X4 + 1 is adequate.  This  process
   removes   dc  components  and  provides  a   constant
   average signal power.

*--------------(REPLY FROM DR.  JOHNSON)---------------*

   Thanks  for  your  interest  in   High-Speed  Digital
   Design.

   While  scrambling may make you feel  better,  and  it
   looks  great  in a technical presentation,   it  does
   *nothing*  to improve the worst case DC  balance.  If
   you  are  depending on scrambling  to   save  the  DC
   balance  of  your circuit then, in my   opinion,  you
   have   made  a  big  mistake.  I'll  cite   for  your
   amusement  a  quick story from the  100BASE-TX  (Fast
   Ethernet)  committee  whose members   *thought*  that
   scrambling  provided adequate  DC   balance.  As  the
   standard  neared  completion they  were   shocked  to
   discover  that someone could produce (on  purpose)  a
   "killer   packet"   whose   data    patterns    would
   occasionally  align  with the scrambler   polynomial,
   causing very long runs of 1's,  sufficiently long  to
   defeat   the  time  constant  of  their   AC-coupling
   capacitors  and cause data errors. Within   a  period
   of  a  few  days after the discovery of   this  error
   mechanism  people  all over the world   were  running
   the   "killer   packet"  on   their    networks   and
   discovering   that  it  really  did    "kill"   their
   networks.  The  competition gloated.  Eventually,  DC
   restoration  circuits  were  incorporated   into  the
   receivers of some parts to avoid the  problem.

   In  the  original design of Sonet I seem  to remember
   arguments  that because the Sonet data  stream  would
   be   a   composite  of  thousands  of    independent,
   unsynchronized  voice channels  the   probability  of
   every  seeing a "killer pattern" would be  acceptably
   low.  In  a  world that supports IP over  Sonet  that
   assumption has been blown out of the  water,  leaving
   Sonet  systems  highly susceptible to  giant  "killer
   packets".  If  you  build a system for   transporting
   packets   that   depends  on   nothing    more   than
   scrambling  to  enforce DC balance, it's   a  virtual
   certainty that someone will figure out how   to  make
   a "killer packet" to defeat it.

Best Regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson

*----------------------(FOLLOW-UP)---------------------*

From: Rich

   I   used  to  work  on  digital  radios   at  Digital
   microwave  and  they  use scrambler   polynomials  of
   x1+x15+x23 and the output is balanced  quite  nicely.
   The  system  I  worked on was  T1,  E1   based.  This
   scrambler    combined   with    Reed-Solomon    error
   correction made the system virtually error  free  and
   totally   independent   of  input   data    patterns.
   Scramblers  remove  the DC component   packetized  or
   not.

Stay in touch.

*--------------(2nd REPLY)---------------*

From: Dr. Howard Johnson

   I'm   sure   a   scrambler  worked  fine    in   your
   application,  but that doesn't mean it   couldn't  be
   made to fail.

   Here's what I'm trying to convey:

   All  I  need  to  do  to defeat a  23-bit   scrambler
   polynomial  is  create a killer  data   pattern  that
   contains   within  it  a  sizeable  chunk    of   the
   scrambler polynomial sequence (kind of  like a  virus
   that  contains  a  bunch of your own   DNA).  If  the
   killer  chunk  is perhaps 100 bits long   AND  IF  IT
   LINES   UP   WITH   THE  SCRAMBLER    SEQUENCE   WHEN
   TRANSMITTED  then when XOR'd with the   scrambler  it
   will  create  an  output of 100  zeroes.   Obviously,
   this   can  be  extended  ad  infinitum   to   create
   sequences of arbitrary length.

   Once  the killer-pattern has been  discovered, if  it
   is  transmitted  repeatedly the   probability  of  it
   lining  up  with your scrambler just at   the  moment
   that  transmission starts equals 1  part   in  2^^23,
   which  is  approximately one part in eight   million.
   This  probability  is far, far  different   from  the
   probability  that you would get 100 bits   is  a  row
   that  *randomly*  happened to cancel  the   scrambler
   (that  would  be  more like 2^^100,  a   MUCH  bigger
   number).

   I  don't  know  what data speeds  you  are   used  to
   working with, but on a modern data link at  10  Gb/s,
   the  link  carries  about  10  million   packets  per
   second (at roughly 120 bytes each) which  gives  your
   killer  packet,  if  transmitted   continuously,   10
   million  chances  per second to  break   the  system.
   That means an error would happen once per  second.

   The  consequences  of a failure of  DC   balance  are
   usually  that  the  slicer  gets  a  HUGE   burst  of
   errors, possibly causing the link to lose  sync,  and
   possibly  requiring  a  re-acquisition  of   the  bit
   timing,  word  timing,  and  frame  sync   (in  other
   words,   it  induces  a  major  glitch  in   a   data
   transmission system).

   In  terms of statistical analysis, the  killer packet
   has   equal   probabilities  of  either   lining   up
   perfectly with your scrambler, or lining  up  exactly
   out-of-phase (creating all 1's), so the  property  of
   AVERAGE  DC  balance is preserved, the  only  problem
   is the instantaneous DC balance just took  a 100-bit-
   long ride to the moon.

   For  any  given system there isn't just   one  killer
   packet.  The  number of possible killer   packets  is
   quite  large. For example, a partially  broken killer
   packet  that  generated 100 zeros with  a   few  ones
   scattered  throughout  would  have  about   the  same
   average  low-frequency  content,  causing   basically
   the  same problem. Also, there are a lot  of distinct
   segments  within the scrambler sequence   with  which
   one  may  attempt  to line up. The  result   is  that
   there  are  literally millions of specific  sequences
   that,  if  transmitted repetitively, could   break  a
   scrambled system. From a marketing  standpoint,  such
   behavior  seems  unacceptable even  if   you  believe
   that  no-one  would  ever  bother  to   transmit  the
   scrambled  data  packets  (that's  what    the   Fast
   Ethernet   committee  thought  until  a    competitor
   started  mailing  out disks to  customers   with  the
   killer packet on it, and instructions on  how to  use
   it).

   Systems  which  scramble the  data  first   and  then
   follow  up  with  a  data code that   guarantees  (by
   design)  strict limits to DC balance   remain  immune
   to   DC-wander  problems.  Coding  first   and   then
   scrambling  (as  was  done  for  FDDI,   which   Fast
   Ethernet then inherited) doesn't really  guarantee  a
   low value of worst-case instantaneous DC  balance.

Best Regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson

   Thanks  to  everyone  who has written  in   over  the
   years  asking  for a better index to the   collection
   of  articles  and newsletters archived  at   our  web
   site:   www.sigcon.com.  The  new  index    will   be
   deployed  shortly  -- check the web  site   soon  for
   details.  It's got abstracts and keywords  for  every
   article.

   If  you  have an idea that would make a   good  topic
   for   a   future  newsletter,  please   send  it   to
   hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxx

   To subscribe to this list send an email to
   hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with  ?subscribe?  in  the
   subject line.
   NOTE:   If   you   received  this   newsletter   from
   Freelists you do not need to re-subscribe.
   To unsubscribe to this list send an email  to
   hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  with   ?unsubscribe?   in
   the subject line.

   Newsletter Archives:
   http://www.sigcon.com/newsletter.htm