[hsdd] High-Speed Digital Design Newsletter

  • From: "Dr. Howard Johnson" <howiej@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:26:48 -0800

                 SCATTERING PARAMETERS

HIGH-SPEED DIGITAL DESIGN    ?  online newsletter  ?
Vol. 6  Issue 03

  Just as the snow begins to slowly turn my ranch to mud,
  I'll be hitting the road to visit clients in the
  beautiful Southwest. On March 24-25, I'll be in Dallas
  conducting a High-Speed Digital Design seminar at the
  Omni Richardson. See www.sigcon.com for more details.

  Have you ever finished a big project--and then the
  next morning wished you could have added just one
  more feature? Well, thanks to the miracle of the
  internet, I get to keep writing all the articles I
  want to supplement the information in my latest
  book, High-Speed Signal Propagation. This article on
  Scattering Parameters (S-parameters) relates the
  transmission matrices described in that book to the
  S-parameter matrices provided by a network analyzer.

  Nicer versions of the figures and equations, which
  are too big to send through this newsletter
  reflector, are posted in the web version of this
  article at www.sigcon.com, under "archives".

SCATTERING PARAMETERS
DR. HOWARD JOHNSON

  A scattering matrix (S-parameter matrix) is one way
  to describe the operation of a linear, time-
  invariant two-port circuit. A two-port network is
  defined as any linear device where a signal goes in
  one side and comes out the other.

  The S-parameter matrix is rapidly becoming very
  popular as a way to characterize connectors and
  cables for high-speed applications above 1 Gb/s.

  The measurement setup associated with S-parameters
  is as follows (Figure 1).

   in1 --->|  DUT  |<--- in2
  out1 <---|  DUT  |---> out2

Figure 1 -- A two-port S-parameter matrix records the
reflection coefficients and transmission gain for
signals coming and going on both sides of the DUT.

  From the test equipment, two cables having
  characteristic impedance Z0 lead to the left and
  right sides, respectively, of the device under test
  (DUT).

  Using the first (left-side) cable, a sinusoidal
  signal (in1) of unit amplitude is injected into the
  DUT. The test equipment records the amplitude and
  phase of the signal (out1) reflected back onto the
  first cable from the DUT, and also the amplitude and
  phase of the signal (out2) conveyed through the DUT
  to the second cable on the other side.

  Using the second (right-side) cable, another
  sinusoidal signal (in2) of unit amplitude is
  injected into the DUT. The test equipment records
  the amplitude and phase of the signal (out2)
  reflected from the right side of the DUT, and the
  amplitude and phase of the signal (out1) conveyed
  through the DUT to the other (left) side.

  The complete S-parameter matrix is a combination of
  these four basic measurements.

     The left column of the S-parameter matrix is
     defined when injecting a signal from the left:

          s11 = out1/in1  (L-side reflection)

          s21 = out2/in1  (L->R transmission)

     The right column of the matrix is defined when
     injecting a signal from the right:

          s12 = out1/in2  (R->L transmission)

          s22 = out2/in2  (R-side reflection)

  The four elements of the s-parameter matrix then may
  be used to compute the signals out1 and out2
  emanating from the two-port device when stimulated
  by input signals in1 and in2:

               out1 = s11*in1 + s12*in2

               out2 = s21*in2 + s22*in2

  The four elements of an S-parameter matrix may be
  reported as complex numbers (with real and imaginary
  parts) or in logarithmic units (as dB magnitude and
  phase).

  [Note that the procedure above provides a model for
  the calculation of circuit performance only at one
  single frequency. The entire procedure is usually
  performed on a dense grid of frequencies spanning
  the range of interest, such that the parameters s11,
  etc., are all functions of frequency.]

  PROVIDED that the reflection coefficients s11 and
  s22 are relatively small, you may estimate the
  effect of cascading several two-port networks by
  merely multiplying the s21 coefficients of the
  individual components (or, if they are in
  logarithmic units, by adding the dB values of the
  s21 coefficients). Such a calculation determines, TO
  FIRST ORDER, the magnitude and phase of a signal
  that propagates straight through the cascade
  proceeding from left to right through each
  component. This is the beauty of S-parameter
  analysis, and one key reason it is used in the
  design of highly cascaded systems like radio
  receivers and chains of linear amplifiers.

  Unfortunately, the overall transfer function of a
  highly cascaded system equals the product of the s21
  terms ONLY when the reflections are negligeable. If
  the reflections are significant, the gain does NOT
  equal the product of s21 terms.

  If you want to model the reflections, a more
  sophisticated analysis is required. That's the
  purpose of the Transmission Matrix, also called the
  Transfer Matrix, or A-parameters.

  The measurement setup associated with transmission
  parameters is defined as follows (Figure 2).

   V1, I1 --->|  DUT  |---> I2, V2

Figure 2 -- The transmission parameters directly relate
input voltages and currents to output voltages and
currents.

  On the left side of the DUT define the voltage V1
  and current I1 entering the DUT. On the right side
  of the DUT define the voltage V2 and current I2
  LEAVING the DUT.

  The voltage and current on the left are related to
  the voltage and current on the right:

                 V1 = a11*V2 + a12*I2

                 I1 = a21*V2 + a22*I2

  The four transmission parameters are measured by
  first stimulating the circuit on the left side (V1
  and I1) while holding the right side open-circuited.
  This condition ensures I2=0, under which condition
  you may easily determine a11 = V1/V2 and a21 =
  I1/V2.

  Then the right side is shorted to ground, ensuring
  V2=0, while you measure a12 = V1/I2 and a22 = I1/I2.

  The measurements are repeated on a dense grid of
  frequencies spanning the range of interest, such
  that the parameters a11, etc., all become functions
  of frequency.

  One difficulty associated with transmission
  parameters is that in a practical high-frequency
  circuit it is extrememly difficult to obtain the
  perfect open-circuit and short-circuit conditions
  required to make good measurements. For example, the
  open-circuit measurement is always corrupted by
  parasitic capacitance shunting port 2. The short-
  circuit measurement is corrupted by parasitic
  inductance in series with port 2.

  The S-parameter method circumvents the open/short
  difficulties by always connecting both ports to
  transmission lines with stable, well-defined
  impedances. To the extent that such a test setup
  better represents the actual working conditions of
  your circuit, the S-parameter method generates a
  more accurate model. Note, however, that the S-
  parameter method requires that the measurements be
  made at a PARTICULAR impedance Z0, and that this
  impedance, for best results, should match closely
  the impedance under which your circuit element will
  actually operate.

  To make clear the importance of the test-circuit
  impedance, consider that a good 50-ohm connector, if
  implemented with proper vias, and when measured with
  Z0=50 ohms may exhibit very small reflection
  coefficients s11 and s22. The same connector, if
  measured with a test impedance of Z0=75 ohms might
  produce terrible reflection coefficients. The values
  of the S-parameter matrix are thus quite sensitive
  to the impedances used during the test. The subject
  of correcting an S-parameter matrix to compute the
  result you would have gotten at a different level of
  test impedance is considered at the end of this
  article.

  The transmission parameters are the parameters best
  suited for calculating the performance of cascaded
  systems, taking into account reflections.

  Given a set of system components represented by
  transmission matrices A, B,...Z, the transmission
  matrix representing the cascaded combination of all
  three pieces is constructed by simply forming the
  matrix-multiplication product of all the pieces:
  (AB...Z). The resulting combined transmission matrix
  properly represents all the transmission gains and
  all the internal reflections associated with the
  combination of system components.

  The transmission-matrix description excels at
  modeling systems that incorporate multiple cascaded
  sections with noticeable reflections, such as a chip
  I/O driver followed by a chip package, a pcb trace,
  a connector, another pcb trace, another chip
  package, and a parasitic load at the receiver.

  Supposing that you have an S-parameter description
  of a connector, and an S-parameter description of a
  backplane, how do you combine these pieces to
  produce an S-parameter description of the whole
  system?

  This is done by first converting each S-parameter
  description to a transmission-matrix description and
  then multiplying together the transmission matrices
  corresponding to the system components you intend to
  cascade. The result is a transmission-matrix
  description of the whole system.

  To facilitate your work, here are the conversions
  from S-matrix format to transmission-matrix (A-
  matrix) format. These formulas assume that Z0 is
  purely real and the same on both sides of the S-
  parameter test setup. If that isn't true, more
  complicated formulas apply (see for example, Chan
  Chan and Chan, "Analysis of Linear Networks and
  Systems", Addison Wesley, 1972, Lib. Congress Cat.
  Card No. 70-156589).

  Given S, find A

  a11 = [1 + s11 - s22 - (s11*s22 - s12*s21)]/2*s21

  a21 = [1 - s11 - s22 + (s11*s22 - s12*s21)]/2*s21*Z0

  a12 = Z0*[1 + s11 + s22 + (s11*s22 - s12*s21)]/2*s21

  a22 = [1 - s11 + s22 - (s11*s22 - s12*s21)]/2s21

  Given A, find S

  D = a12 + Z0*(a11 + a22) + Z0*Z0*a21

  s11 = [a12 + Z0*(a11 - a22) - Z0*Z0*a21]/D

  s21 = 2*Z0/D

  s12 = 2*Z0*(a11*a22 - a12*a21)/D

  s22 = [a12 - Z0*(a11 - a22) - Z0*Z0*a21]/D

  [Note that the conversion calculcations are done at
  each frequency on your dense grid. This results in a
  lot of computation, but that's why we have
  computers.]

  Given the source and load impedances in the network
  you may extract the transmission gain of the system
  (including the effects of internal reflections)
  directly from the combined tranmission matrix (see
  Appendix C of High-Speed Signal Propagation).

  Alternately, if you have access to an S-parameter
  simulator you can convert the combined transmission
  matrix back to a single S-parameter matrix
  representing the whole system, and then use it.
  You'll get the same answer either way.

  Now let's look at one of the very interesting uses
  of the transmission matrix: scaling the length of a
  transmission line.

  Sometimes it happes that you have measured the S-
  parameters of a piece of cable, or a backplane
  trace, and wish to have an S-parameter description
  of a longer (or shorter) length of the same cable.
  The solution to this problem is to first convert the
  S-parameter description to a transmission matrix,
  then scale the length, and finally convert back to S-
  parameters.

  To see how length-scaling works with transmission
  parameters, first consider the simple case of
  doubling the length of the transmission medium. This
  effectively cascades two identical sections of
  transmission line. If the tranmission-matrix for a
  single section of line is A, then the result for a
  double-length section would be A*A (using matrix
  multiplication). Further integer-length extensions
  are provided by compounding higher and higher powers
  of the matrix A, such that the complete model for a
  section n-times longer than the basic unit section
  equals A raised to the power of n.

  An even more interesting fact (which I don't have
  space to prove here) is that the power-of-A formula
  works even for non-integer n, and also for
  fractional n. Therefore if you want to model a
  section of transmission line whole length is, say,
  .316 times the length of your basic unit section you
  simply form the matrix A raised to the power of .316

  If you haven't previously encountered the idea of
  raising a matrix to a fractional power, let me tell
  you a little about it. The concept is that you first
  decompose the matrix using an eigenvalue
  decomposition. Routines for eigenvalue decomposition
  exist in all the major mathematical-spreadsheet
  packages (MatLab, Mathematica, and my favorite,
  MathCad). The eigenvalue decomposition produces
  three matrices, U, D, and V, which when multiplied
  together (UDV) equal your original matrix A. Without
  going into a lot of detail, the matrix D is always a
  diagonal matrix. The diagonal elements of D are
  called the eigenvalues of A (see any book on linear
  algebra, for example Gilbert Strang, "Linear Algebra
  and Its Applications", Academic Press, 1976, ISBN 0-
  12-673650-2). To form the matrix A raised to the
  power of n what you do is first form a new matrix E
  by raising each element of the diagonal matrix D to
  the power of n, and then use E to form a new matrix
  (UEV), which is your answer.  Convert (UEV) from
  transmission-matrix format back to S-parameter
  format and you now have a length-scaled  S-parameter
  model of the whole system.

  Let me advise you that such manipulations work best
  on systems, such as long uniform transmission lines,
  that incorporate few if any internal reflections.
  It's OK if you have reflections at the front and
  back ends of the line, as those will properly scale
  in time, but if you have internal reflections (such
  as vias) internal to your unit-length standard
  measurement then when you scale that measurement to,
  say, half length the equations will produce some
  kind of system with different internal reflections,
  such that when you cascade two half-length systems
  in series you will get the original reflection
  pattern observed during the test. That answer is
  mathematically correct but it probably
  isn't what you want. The original unit-length S-
  parameter setup should incorporate only the main
  body of the transmission structure, not any
  imperfections along the way. Any mismatches at the
  ends of the transmission structure are properly
  handled by this technique.

  My final subject has to do with correcting the value
  of Z0 used during S-parameter characterization.

  The conversion from S-parameter to transmission-
  matrix format depends in each direction upon an
  assumed value for the characteristic impedance Z0 of
  the test setup. If you have made S-parameter
  measurements at one level of impedance and wish to
  see what S-parameter matrix you would have gotten
  with a different level of impedance Z1, then convert
  from S-parameters to transmission-parameters using
  Z0, and then go back the other way using Z1.

  I hope these brief comments are helpful to you.

  Join us at our upcoming seminar in Dallas, TX, Mar.
  24-25, 2003. A full schedule of cities and dates
  appears at: www.sigcon.com.

  WIN A FREE BOOK! If you recommend my seminar to any of
  your colleagues and they sign up, I will send you one
  free autographed copy of my new book, "High-Speed Signal
  Propagation" when it is published in March. Be sure
  your colleague mentions your name when they are
  registering. Thanks for your support.

  Check out our newsletter archives at www.sigcon.com,
  under "Archives".

  High-Speed Signal Propagation: More Black Magic is
  now available for presale at www.barnesandnoble.com.

If  you  have an idea that would make a  good  topic for
a   future  newsletter,  please  send  it to hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxx

To subscribe to this list send an email to
hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the subject field.

hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field.

Newsletter Archives: http://www.sigcon.com/
Copyright 2002, Signal Consulting, Inc.