<HF>Pope's Apostolic Letter on the Rosary

  • From: "Fr. Pat" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:52:00 -0500

     H O L Y    F A M I L Y    P A R I S H   /   A R C A D I A
                         t h e    l a t e s t ,    b y    e - m a i l

Volume 2002, Number  10-16c
Wednesday, 16 October 2002

P O P E ' S    A P O S T O L I C    L E T T E R    O N    T H E    R O S
A R Y

Pope John Paul II's Apostolic Letter "Rosarium Virginis Maria," the
"Rosary of the Virgin Mary" was promulgated today, 16 October 2002.  In
this letter the Holy Father adds five new mysteries, the Mysteries of
Light to the Rosary.  He also proclaims this the Year, October 2002
through October 2003 the Year of the Rosary.  I sent out excerpts of the
Letter earlier this afternoon.  I have now obtained the complete text in
English and posted it at our Web Site.

The Holy Father begins his letter in this way:

The Rosary of the Virgin Mary, which gradually took form in the second
millennium under the guidance of the Spirit of God, is a prayer loved by
countless Saints and encouraged by the Magisterium. Simple yet profound,
it still remains, at the dawn of this third millennium, a prayer of
great significance, destined to bring forth a harvest of holiness. It
blends easily into the spiritual journey of the Christian life, which,
after two thousand years, has lost none of the freshness of its
beginnings and feels drawn by the Spirit of God to "set out into the
deep" (duc in altum!) in order once more to proclaim, and even cry out,
before the world that Jesus Christ is Lord and Saviour, "the way, and
the truth and the life" (Jn 14:6), "the goal of human history and the
point on which the desires of history and civilization turn".1

The Rosary, though clearly Marian in character, is at heart a
Christocentric prayer. In the sobriety of its elements, it has all the
depth of the Gospel message in its entirety, of which it can be said to
be a compendium.2 It is an echo of the prayer of Mary, her perennial
Magnificat for the work of the redemptive Incarnation which began in her
virginal womb. With the Rosary, the Christian people sits at the school
of Mary and is led to contemplate the beauty on the face of Christ and
to experience the depths of his love. Through the Rosary the faithful
receive abundant grace, as though from the very hands of the Mother of
the Redeemer.

As you can see, this is a wonderfully written and instructive letter.
The complete text, in English, is now posted at our Web Sites.  Just
follow the link from the top of:

      www.frpat.com/    or    www.holyfam.com/

May God Bless you and those you love, and keep you safe,

Father Pat

LOOKING FOR AN OLD MESSAGE?  List archives are here:
   //www.freelists.org/archives/holyfamily/

SUBSCRIBE at:
   http://holyfam.com/emaillist.htm or

   send a blank e-mail to
   holyfamily-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   and put "subscribe" (without the quotes)
   in the Subject line of the email.

UNSUBSCRIBE at:

   //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=holyfamily or

   send a blank e-mail to:
   holyfamily-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   and put "unsubscribe" (without the quotes)
   in the Subject line of the email.

You can edit your preferences, unsubscribe, or even turn off
your account while you're on vacation at:

   //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=holyfamily

Receive our daily MORNING PRAYER by e-mail, or our
Weekly Spiritual Reflection and Reflection Questions.
There's more information and a sign-up form at:
   http://frpat.com/mpsubscribe.htm

Our Parish Web Site: http://holyfam.com/
Father Pat's Place:  http://frpat.com/
Outreach/Evangelization:  http://cmonback.com/