[hllug] Re: got motherboard?

  • From: herb cee <hc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:00:59 -0500

On 09/13/2010 10:22 PM, Don Crowder wrote:
Richard's non-functioning computer, which I brought home from our last
LUG meeting, has "fat capacitor" syndrome. There are four electrolytic
capacitors on the motherboard which are clearly defective and others
which may or may not be good. The machine is a 900 MHz Duron with 256 MB
of PC133 RAM. At the moment he's using one of my machines which is a 900
MHz P3 with 384 MB of PC133 RAM so he's not taking too bad a hit in
performance though my machine is running Mepis/KDE where he's used to
using Ubuntu/Gnome.

It's possible that replacing the visibly defective components will fix
the machine but the cooling fan on the video card is frozen so the card
is probably bad and there may or may not be other problems. My
inclination is to try and find him another, perhaps better machine or
another motherboard, mainly because I know he's a gaming junkie. Right
at the moment I don't have a better machine. Richard is in "extreme
economy" mode for the next couple of months because he's saving up to
make a down payment on another mobile home. He can't afford to buy
hardware for the next month or two so 'll be "on the scrounge" for
equipment. Meanwhile he can continue to use my machine.

Let me know if you have any hardware you're willing to pass on. If I
can't scrounge or finagle a better machine for him within a few weeks
I'll gift him the machine he's using now, max out it's ram, find a good
video card for it and install his OS of choice on it.

Don

Don I have several boards that were working when I replaced them and i hope to start sorting tru them this weekend when i begin my 2010 Spring cleaning. Yeah I know, seems late but not so ..... since born on Spet 14, 1930 makes my yr start at summers end so I am actually early in starting. Justify to hide the lie, lol. Anyway i will send u a list of what I have and also the cards i have.

OK.... now all together ' Happy Birthday Herb' .... yay
hh