[hllug] Tip: Speed program loading with "prelink"!

  • From: Lee Parmeter <lee@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:33:54 -0500

Tip: Speed up program loading with "prelink"!

I ran across this entry on a blog at: http://xubuntu.info/news.php

*******************************
Over the weekend I tried out some slackware based distros. One thing for sure, they are much faster on the desktop than Xubuntu. I tried to switch over to the Slackware based distro but the package management utilities just werent as mature as debian based apt-get and the amount of available packages is dwarfed by Ubuntu and Debian. This turned me off to the Slackware distro, as there are certain packages I NEED, and I hate compiling programs from source.

So I thought to my self, i need to find a way to speed up my desktop. I found 2 programs that acclerated my desktop from 25% the performance of Slackware to 85% of the speed. Yes still not quite as fast, but very close.

First is "prelink". It is a package you can download with synaptic. Over on the Ubuntu forums Jdong wrote up a quick howto. In a nutshell here are the instructions:

"How to enable prelink:

1. Activate Ubuntu universe sources. The procedure is well-documented by Ubuntu.
2. use apt-get or synaptic to install prelink.
3. Open /etc/default/prelink with your favorite editor, as sudo/root.
4. Change PRELINKING=unknown from unknown to yes.
5. Adjust the other options if you know what the heck you're doing. Defaults work well.
6. To start the first prelink (the longest one!), run sudo /etc/cron.daily/prelink"

I also found a program call "preload" in synaptic. It helps a little bit too. Just install it via synaptic and its good to go, no configuration needed.

Well there you go, hope your desktop is a little faster now!

Regards,

--
Lee Parmeter
http://www.linXos.com

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety. –Benjamin Franklin