[hllug] Re: Off topic (evil empire)

  • From: paul <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 15:54:49 -0600

I don't know squat about raid. But... booting with a floppy and running fdisk/mbr might fix you.

http://www.computerhope.com/fdiskhlp.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/69013

http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-12026.html

Better links:

Best:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320252

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm

Hmm... :

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=40870

Don Crowder said the following on 2/9/2012 3:19 PM:
Richard Salts asked me take a look at his dysfunctional Windows machine. I found that, when it was turned on (when the button was pushed) it acted like it was going to boot up (lights blinked, drives whirred) but it shut down after a few seconds (just switched off). I tried another power supply and that corrected the initial problem but it still won't boot up.

The machine is an Athlon 64, 3000+, 1.8 GHz, single core (I think). It's got two hard drives in it. During the boot process, at one point, I get:

Raid
none define
No Raid

and, immediately thereafter, I get:

---

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

---

There's no COA on it so I don't know what OS it's using and, even if I did, the newest Windows CDs I have are 32 bit XP Home and Pro.

In my admittedly limited experience, when I've seen a similar error message, the problem wasn't actually a missing file. I'm wondering if I can boot from a Linux live CD (or a System Rescue CD) and run fsck but the only live CDs I have on hand are 32 bit.

So, I'm sort of stumped at this point.  Suggestions?  Anyone?

--
   http://remsset.com

   It's kind of fun to do the impossible.
                            - Walt Disney