[hllug] Re: Linux Distro Timeline

  • From: "Donguitar" <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:53:40 -0500

Visual history of Linux distro's

>http://www.kde-files.org/content/files/44218-linuxdistrotimeline-6.8.2.png

I've been into it long enough to be aware, in a vague way, that most
contemporary Linux distros have some sort of lineage but I wasn't aware, for
example, that our PCLinuxOS system traces it's roots to Red Hat.

It's interesting and answers a few questions I had (like "whatever became of
Lindows?") but it creates a few questions too.

Assuming the GNU/Linux penguin, at extreme left, represents the original
Linux kernel in 1991.  To explore only one puzzle, follow the green line to
see that Sorcerer Linux was born in 2001.  The green line seems to indicate
that sorcerer was built on the original Linux source code release and I'm
sure that's not true.  The Linux kernel has been under continuos development
since it's original release so it's reasonable to assume that Sorcerer would
have been built on the most current stable version of the kernel available
at the time.  Do you see my point?  On the other hand, after some
considerable reflection on the matter, I can see where it would have been
difficult to chart this any differently.   If a timeline was added for the
kernel itself then should one not also indicate each subsequent release
version of the kernel?  My mind kept appending things until I ran out of
dimensions in my imagined chart.  Then I remembered reading that throughout
the history of Linux (and BSD for that matter) when a particularly elegant
block of code was written to address a specific need it was quickly cabbaged
onto by all or most other distros under development at the time and my
imagined chart started to resemble a wide gray bar.  *grin*

Time to move on and give my brain a break.

Don