[hllug] I found a "new toy".

  • From: "Donguitar" <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "HLLUG" <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:13:03 -0500

I tried to set up a GUI for Imagemagick but either I totally misunderstood
the concept or it's implementation was beyond my ability.  My objective was
to find an image editor with nice features to fill the niche between simple
viewers and the Gimp.  What I found, after some additional research, was
Digikam.

This is a digital camera app which also sorts images into "galleries" which
it creates from existing folders on your computer by copying the contents of
those folders into its own file system.  The end result is that your
original photos remain in their 'pristine' state, untouched, unaltered and
that's not such a bad concept.  There are also a number of Digikam plugins
available in the Debian repository which give the software an incredible
range of features and it's considerably more user-friendly, and much
smaller, than the Gimp.   That makes it exactly what I was looking for.

the application is listed in the Graphics section of the Debian Etch
repository as

digikam

the plugins are nearby, listed as

digikamimageplugins

and a third file, which I downloaded but haven't needed yet, is the handbook
for the plugins.

digikamimageplugins-doc

With the plugins the tools and effects offered by Digikam aren't quite the
same as I'm used to using in Irfanview or XnView (on my Windows machine) but
some of them are very powerful and at least one of them, the 'unsharp mask'
feature is a professional quality tool (which has a learning curve but I've
got the handbook whenever I'm ready to sit down and learn how to use it :).

Don