[hllug] Re: File Server update

  • From: Lee Parmeter <admin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:48:21 -0500

Lee Parmeter wrote:
> LUG File Server Project Update!
>

> HARDWARE:
> ========
> Replaced a bad ribbon cable and installed a 10/100 NIC (PCI). Added the
> left-over 32MB PC-100 memory stick so total memory is now 352K. Memory
> test passed OK.
>

> DISTRIBUTION:
> ============
> I have found that neither CentOS nor Fedora's install disks will boot on
> the File Server. I have tried burning the disks slower and in some
> alternate formats but no solutions resolves the problem. I also tried an
> alternate CDROM drive with no success. The system just stops at the
> ISOLINUX sign-on.
>
> Further investigation reveals that any distribution that uses ISOLINUX will
> not boot. This now includes the Debian net installer and the RescueCD.
>
> The only distribution that I have been able to boot successfully on the
> hardware (Abit M5ALC V3 motherboard), is Ubuntu.
>

> RAID:
> ====
> Since Ubuntu will boot-up, I proceed to try and install the distro using
> RAID1 (mirroring). Since the install procedure of RAID is primarily a
> function of the partitioner anyway, the procedure is really the same for
> all distro's.
>
> This is the best info I found on the web concerning how configure the
> disks for RAID during the distro install. It's not complete, but does
> address the Partition creation and type and the Software Raid portion.
> <http://ads.wars-nicht.de/blog/archives/54-Install-Debian-Etch-on-a-Software-Raid-1-with-S-ATA-disks.html>
>
> So, here's what we will need to do to create a bootable Raid1 setup:
>
> 1. Install 2 hard drives in the machine.
>
> 2. During the distro installation, select "Manual Partitioning.
>
> 3. Create 3 partitions on each drive, one for "boot" (100MB), "swap"
> (1.5-2x installed RAM) and "root" (balance of drive).
>
> 4. Set the file type of all 3 partitions as "RAID" and set the boot flag
> for "/boot".
>
> 5. Then select "Configure Software Raid"
>
> 6. Run through the Software Raid configuration 3 times, creating 3 MD
> devices. Each time use "Active=2" and "Spare=0". The two active devices
> will the the matched "/boot" partitions the first time, the "swap"
> partitions the 2nd time and the root partition the 3rd time. So you will
> end up with MD #0, #1 and #2.
>
> 7. After the distribution is installed, you will need to make the 2nd
> Active partition bootable by installing grub manually.
>

> RESULTS thus far:
> ================
> 1. Ubuntu 7.10RC - Installed using alternate-server CD. Booted up ok after
> install. However, when I did an "apt-get update" apt would not longer run
> due to a library seg fault. So, install was "hosed" after that.
>
> 2. Ubuntu 7.04 - Installed again using alernate-server CD. After install,
> the computer would just do an infinite reboot.

> [...]

I update the BIOS this evening and got some improvement in booting
ISOLINUX based install disks. Apparently it is a well know problem that
some BIOS versions have a problem booting ISOLINUX. Centos & Fedora 7
now get to the main install menu but then reboot during the loading of
the kernel image. However, the RescueCD and Kanotix will not boot and
run OK. Next I will try the Debian Etch Net install CD and Ubuntu 7.10
after I get it download.

--
Lee Parmeter
http://www.hllug.org

"When it comes to Vista, just say NO! If your not ready for Linux yet,
buy a MAC!" - Lee Parmeter