[hllug] Re: Autologin in Xfce.

  • From: Don Crowder <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:50:01 -0500

Administrator wrote:
Don Crowder wrote:
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:23:41 -0500
Bubba's Geek <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Don Crowder wrote:
I'm using KateOS on a 450 MHz, P3 machine.  Kate uses Xfce and works very
nicely on older hardware but I'd like it better if I didn't have to log in
every time I turn it on.  I'm used to being able to set systems up to log in
automatically with GDM or KDM but I can't find an analogous application in
Xfce.  I was able to install GDM with Kate's package manager but I can't figure
out how to invoke it so the system is still using it's default login window
(whatever that is).  Any suggestions?
On Ubuntu, the default display manager is set in the following text flle:
/etc/X11/default-display-manager

Inside the file, a single line which says:
/usr/sbin/gdm

So, you might see if KateOS has a similar file and contents in the
"/etc/X11" directory.
Thanks Lee, I'll check.
-
Here's a little more info that may help:

Fedora uses a script name "prefdm" found here: "/etc/X11/prefdm"
The script is then called from /etc/inittab" when runlevel 5 is activated.

Many distributions should still use "inittab".

On the KateOS IRC channel I was told that Kate uses slim. I did some research and found couple of file which are at least clues but I'm not sure how to edit them.

the first is called xdm-config and here are its contents:

! $Xorg: xdm-conf.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:17 cpqbld Exp $
! $XdotOrg: $
!
!
!
!
! $XFree86: xc/programs/xdm/config/xdm-conf.cpp,v 1.10 2002/11/30 19:11:32 herrb Exp $
!

DisplayManager.errorLogFile:    /var/log/xdm.log
DisplayManager.pidFile:         /var/run/xdm.pid
DisplayManager.keyFile:         /usr/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-keys
DisplayManager.servers:         /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
DisplayManager.accessFile:      /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess
DisplayManager*resources:       /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources
DisplayManager.willing:         su nobody -c /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xwilling
! All displays should use authorization, but we cannot be sure
! X terminals may not be configured that way, so they will require
! individual resource settings.
DisplayManager*authorize:       true
!
DisplayManager*chooser:         /usr/lib/X11/xdm/chooser
DisplayManager*startup:         /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup
DisplayManager*session:         /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
DisplayManager*reset:           /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xreset
DisplayManager*authComplain:    true
! The following three resources set up display :0 as the console.
DisplayManager._0.setup:        /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
DisplayManager._0.startup:      /usr/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole
DisplayManager._0.reset:        /usr/lib/X11/xdm/TakeConsole

DisplayManager*loginmoveInterval:       10

! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser requests
! Comment out this line if you want to manage X terminals with xdm
DisplayManager.requestPort:     0

The second is named slim.conf and here are its contents:

# Path, X server and arguments (if needed)
# Note: -xauth $authfile is automatically appended
default_path        ./:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
default_xserver     /usr/bin/X
#xserver_arguments   -dpi 75

# Commands for halt, login, etc.
halt_cmd            /sbin/shutdown -h now
reboot_cmd          /sbin/shutdown -r now
console_cmd         /usr/bin/xterm
#suspend_cmd        /usr/sbin/suspend

# Full path to the xauth binary
xauth_path         /usr/bin/xauth

# Xauth file for server
authfile           /var/run/slim.auth

# Activate numlock when slim starts. Valid values: on|off
# numlock             on

# Hide the mouse cursor (note: does not work with some WMs).
# Valid values: true|false
# hidecursor          false

# This command is executed after a succesful login.
# you can place the %session and %theme variables
# to handle launching of specific commands in .xinitrc
# depending of chosen session and slim theme
#
# NOTE: if your system does not have bash you need
# to adjust the command according to your preferred shell,
# i.e. for freebsd use:
# login_cmd           exec /bin/sh - ~/.xinitrc %session
login_cmd if [ ! -f ~/.xinitrc ] ; then exec /bin/sh -login /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ; else exec /bin/sh -login ~/.xinitrc ; fi

# Commands executed when starting and exiting a session.
# They can be used for registering a X11 session with
# sessreg. You can use the %user variable
#
# sessionstart_cmd      some command
# sessionstop_cmd       some command

# Start in daemon mode. Valid values: yes | no
# Note that this can overridden by the command line
# option "-d"
daemon  yes

# Available sessions (first one is the default).
# The current chosen session name is replaced in the login_cmd
# above, so your login command can handle different sessions.
# see the xinitrc.sample file shipped with slim sources
#sessions            xfce,icewm,wmaker,blackbox

# Executed when pressing F11 (requires imagemagick)
screenshot_cmd      import -window root /slim.png

# welcome message. Available variables: %host, %domain
welcome_msg         Welcome to KateOS

# shutdown / reboot messages
shutdown_msg       The system is halting...
reboot_msg         The system is rebooting...

# default user, leave blank or remove this line
# for avoid pre-loading the username.
#default_user        simone

# current theme, use comma separated list to specify a set to
# randomly choose from
current_theme       default

# Lock file
lockfile            /var/run/slim.lock

# Log file
#logfile             /var/log/slim.log

I don't know enough to interpret what I'm seeing here but I don't care if it logs into the user account or switches to GDM, which I've installed via the package manager and is already configured to login automatically.