[hipl-users] HIPL - early testing

  • From: Fernando Moreira <fmoreira@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:34:18 +0100

Hi all,
i've just installed hipl but i have some doubts. I haven't understood how hipl works...

Simply running hipd, it eventually died because there weren't any of the following files:
hip_host_dsa_key_anon
hip_host_dsa_key_pub
hip_host_rsa_key_anon
hip_host_rsa_key_pub

Then, i used tools/hipconf to generate those files and ended up with 8 files:
hip_host_dsa_key_anon
hip_host_dsa_key_pub
hip_host_rsa_key_anon
hip_host_rsa_key_pub
hip_host_dsa_key_anon.pub
hip_host_dsa_key_pub.pub
hip_host_rsa_key_anon.pub
hip_host_rsa_key_pub.pub

By comparison with some other implementations, like HIP4BSD, i can see that some of the files correspond to the host's private and public key, but i don't understand the use of all the files.
Some other questions:
Will it be possible to ping the peer using it's HIT?
Will the base exchange be triggered by the first data packet exchanged?
In which interface can the HIP packets be captured - dummy0 or any physical interface?
Should there be a HIT - IP mapping in the /etc/hip/hosts file? - Can you please send me an example of that file....

I've searched the mailing list and didn't find any of this topics. If there's any mail ou thread related to any of this questions, please point me to it.
Thank you in advance for your help,

Best Regards,

Fernando